Chapter 28

“Olivia?” she heard Fitz’s voice from the doorway. She turned to look at him, hoping he couldn’t see the tears that had fallen down her cheeks.

“I just needed some air” her voice was thin and flat.

“Liar” he sat down next to her and took her hand, “What’s wrong Livie?”

“Nothing” she tried to smile but he noticed it didn’t reach her eyes, “I’m just tired, I guess.”

            Fitz took her upper arms and turned her slowly towards him, “I know this isn’t easy Livie, but if we have any chance of surviving you have to talk to me.”

“You need to get back inside; people will be looking for you.”

“Olivia, I don’t care” he looked sincerely into her eyes, “I can tell that you are upset. How am I supposed to go inside and pretend like everything is fine when you’re out here hurting?”

“Because you want to be President” Olivia tried to look away but Fitz held her chin, maintaining their eye contact.

“Livie, I can’t be President without you, I won’t” he spoke softly allowing his thumb to roam over her lips and cheek, “We have a plan, remember?”

“I think we need to discuss the plan” she whispered against her better judgment. The pleasure of his touch made her question her statement even as it left her lips.

“Is that what has you so upset?” he continued to caress her face.

“I think we made a mistake, I think you should run with Mellie” she forced herself to move away from him, “Maybe once you get elected it would make more sense for us to be together.”

“No” he caught her hand and pulled her into an embrace, “I don’t want Mellie to be my First Lady. I want to be with you, I want you to be my First Lady or not my First Lady. I just want to be with you Livie.”  He kissed her hair as he held her against his chest.

“You should get back inside” she spoke against his chest then took a deep inhale of his masculine scent.

“Can you come back in with me?” he asked, “I need you by my side Livie. I promise we can talk about this later. I just need you by my side tonight.”

“Fine” she sat up straight and wiped her damp eyes.

            Olivia forced herself to smile as she returned to the bar for a second glass of wine and began to socialize with some of the guests. She did her best to avoid Cyrus and Mellie and focused on lobbying supporters on Fitz’s behalf. After shaking what seemed like her millionth hand Olivia glanced towards the door and noticed Fitz looking at her as he spoke to one of the guests. She took a sip of her wine, her eyes staying on Fitz. He gave her a wink and a smile that she felt all the way down to her toes. Her cheeks pinked at his gesture before she forced herself to look away again. Olivia began to walk towards the bar.