Chapter 29

Olivia chanced a glance in Fitz’s direction as she sat on a patio chair talking to Karen and Gerry. She smiled at the sight of him talking intimately with his mother. She saw him smile and could have sworn that he glanced in her direction several times. Olivia thought of something her mother always used to say to her, if you want to know how a man will treat a woman watch how he treats his mother. If her mother’s adage was true Olivia knew that Fitz would always treat her like a queen. Olivia’s fingers absently touched her lips then trailed down her neck as she recalled Fitz’s lips following that same path.

“Olivia what do you think?” Gerry asked touching Olivia’s arm lightly.

“Sorry Gerry” Olivia turned her attention back to the little boy, “What did you say?”

“I was asking if you thought Grandma would let Karen and I stay up late.”

“I bet she will,” Olivia replied with a gentle smile, “You know it’s important for you to get some pictures with your Dad for the campaign.”

“Can you be in a picture with us?” Karen asked.

“I’d love to have a picture with you and Gerry” Olivia affirmed.

“I’m going to ask Dad” beamed Gerry.

X-X

“Mellie” Fitz was surprised at her quick appearance, “Did you need something?”

“What is that?” Mellie gestured towards the box Fitz held in his hand.

“It’s a family heirloom that I’m giving to Fitz,” Elizabeth answered for her son, “One day he will give it to Karen, when she’s old enough to take care of it.”

“May I?” Mellie asked again gesturing towards the box.

            Fitz gently opened the box revealing a nearly flawless, colorless radiant cut two-carat diamond in an antique pave setting. Mellie gasped audibly at the sight of the ring.

“It’s beautiful” she breathed, “It must have an amazing story behind it.”

“It was Fitz’s grandmother’s ring” explained Elizabeth, “It has been passed down to the oldest child in each generation.”

            Mellie felt her temper flare slightly as she considered the implications of Elizabeth’s story. She knew that Fitz’s mother didn’t think that she was the best choice for her son but she had no idea that she had disliked her enough to keep her from having this gorgeous ring.

“How nice” managed Mellie through gritted teeth, “Honey, they are ready for your little speech before dinner. Go gather the children and meet me over by the band.”

“Where are Karen and Gerry?” Fitz asked, though he already knew the answer.