Chapter 37

“Here ya go” whispered Fitz, handing Olivia a cup of coffee, “How’s he doing?”

“He fell asleep again a few minutes ago” she replied still rubbing Gerry’s curls.

Gerry had spent the night in and out of sleep. Olivia and Fitz took turns holding his hand and rubbing his head, neither sleeping for more than an hour at a time.

“Livie, why don’t you lay down and take a nap” Fitz said kissing her neck.

“I’m okay here” she replied leaning her head into his chest, “Thanks for the coffee.”

“What if I lay down with you?” Fitz breathed close to her ear, “Rub your back a little. Hold you close to me.”

“You know we can’t do that” she whispered, “There are nurses and doctors in and out of here constantly.”

“But the thrill of getting caught makes it all the more exciting” Fitz said with a sly smile.

“And Gerry has no idea you and Mellie are getting a divorce” continued Olivia, “let alone that you and I are…” her voice trailed off.

“Dating, it’s called dating Livie” he laughed quietly.

They heard a knock on the door and Gerry’s nurse appeared. Fitz quickly pulled his arms from around Olivia and she sat up straight taking a long sip of her coffee.

“I just need to do a quick assessment and I have his pain medicine” whispered the nurse logging on to the computer in the room, “My name is Liz.”

“I’m Fitz,” he smiled, “this is Olivia.”

“Nice to meet both of you, I’ll be Gerry’s nurse until seven tonight” the nurse replied, “Just let me know if you need anything.”

“We just need our little boy well enough to go home” Fitz stated placing his hand on Olivia’s back. She glanced at him with a small smile then turned back towards Gerry.

The nurse assessed Gerry and gave him his pain medicine then left the room after reminding Gerry and Fitz that they should call if they needed anything. 

“How are you feeling Buddy?” Fitz asked standing next to the bed.

“Sleepy and my head hurts” Gerry said, “Can you lay with me Daddy?”

“Sure” Fitz smiled and gingerly climbed into bed next to Gerry, “Is this okay?”

“No” said Gerry shaking his head slightly, “We need Liv to lay with us too.”

Fitz let out an involuntary laugh and looked in Olivia’s direction for her reply.

“Ger, there isn’t room for all of us in that bed” she said walking over to the other side, “How about I just sit here in the chair and rub your arm?”