10

After being let out of the hospital room, I've been sitting at my desk for hours. Just wondering when I'll get to see my friends again. I've only been here for three days, but it has felt like an eternity. I miss seeing Azariella's smile, hearing Maddox whine like a little kid. I miss Sage's curiosity, which makes him dip his head into some business that could hurt him.

Mom has been traveling back and forth between Insuria and Sarjia, making sure everything goes as she planned. I still wonder if Aries is putting up an act, or if he's actually showing his genuine feelings. If his actions are legitimate, and not something he's pretending to lure me in with. To deceive me.

I feel like a prisoner. Still. In this amazing, breathtaking space. My fingers trace against the flowers that are growing out of the desk. The petals are pink and blue and it has a neon light slowly pulsing throughout them. Working from the pistil, then out towards the leaves.

The flower reminds me of Insuria. My birthplace. While the neon reminds me of the people keeping the nation running. The poor people that don't have another choice, than to work their asses off.

The people that deserve all the achievable recognition that's possible, but are forced under the thin layer. The very thin layer on top, that hides everything, and everyone that's keeping it going. The people being the beginning to the end, the light to the darkness.

Someone knocks on the door, making me rip my gaze away from the flowers. I rise from my seat and make sure I look clean. "Come in," I say loud and the door opens. I get surprised by seeing Calix standing in the doorway. He's smiling at me, trying not to seem unusual. He knows this whole setting is strange, considering he didn't greet me, or talk to me more than one time.

"Hello, Maeve," he speaks smiling. His eyes are filled with happiness, comfort, kindness. It would be impossible to fake that. He gestures me to sit down in my chair, but I remain standing and holding eye contact. He notices and clears his throat, as he sits down on my perfectly made bed. "I noticed we haven't talked that much and wanted to apologize."

I furrow my brows.

We haven't talked because you're been too busy with my mother, probably doing stuff. I cringe at the thought. He senses I'm tense and continues to speak. I study him. His hair is the same as Aries's. But his eyes are different. Aries's probably got his eyes from his mom. Sharp, emotionless, numbed. Until something in him breaks.

When I fainted, the numbness washed away, filling the emptiness with worry. Only to crumble again, to establish the unsympathetic look back. Calix isn't horrible looking. He looks decent. When he smiles he has the same dimples as Aries. Aries got the charm from him, and the restrained self from his mother. I wonder what she was like.

"Let me take you and Aries to some art gallery, not far from here."

I nod. Declining would be rude. He walks out of the room, and I follow him but at a small distance. I'm alone here now with strangers. I have to be careful. They could slit me into two pieces in a swift motion whenever they like, and their servants would clean the mess up like nothing.

He tells me to wait near the exit, and later on, he comes back with Aries. Aries meets my gaze as he fixes his white shirt, but he doesn't smile. And neither do I.

As we walk out of the building, I remember the last time I walked here. I was surrounded by people shouting how much they loved us, and cameras taking pictures in my face, blinding me with the white flash.

Now the space is empty, leaving sight of lovely trees planted in a circle.  In the middle of the path in front of us, a long car is parked. The chauffeur opens the door, and we step inside. The air is cold, and I sit on the opposite seat of them. Aries looks out of the window as the car begins to rise from the path.

He doesn't look as interested in me as he did yesterday.

He was never interested in you, Maeve.

I examine their car. The seats are white, and the lights that beam back and forth on the roof are bright. Again. The complete opposite of ours.

Our car is filled with dark red seats, and the lights are dim. The atmosphere is something I despise. But not in here. The atmosphere here is restful and peaceful.

Peace. The thing I would need right now. And it has been offered to me the second I stepped in here. But I didn't accept it.

And I won't.

Not alone here with two men in front of me. One leader, and one to be a future leader. They are powerful. I cannot let my guard down.

"Have you been to the museum of environments before?" Calix asks me, breaking the crushing silence. I shake my head.

"No."

Aries's gaze is still fixed on the outside. Now, the clouds we're driving through, hovering over the cities.

"Aries told me that you love plants and trees. Especially sounds from chirping birds," he tells me trying to make me excited. His smile says it all. I'll take this opportunity to make her like me more, so her mother will too.

'You self-centered jerk,' I want to scoff, making it clearly visible that I can read him right through his mask. I want to see it break, showing how embarrassed he would be. Thinking he can trick me into admiring him.

'Aries told me...'

Did he really?

How else would he know, Maeve?

I look at Aries, and he still looks out of the damn window. His jaw is tense, and he has his hands in a firm grip, resting on his lap. He knows I'm watching him, but chooses to ignore me instead.

When will he look at me? Give me confirmation. Smile at me and say something. Anything. Why is he so tense? Why does Calix finally seem to care about me? Why doesn't Aries say anything? I have so many questions, wanting to burst out of my mouth. But I can't let that happen.