15

Here we are again. Eating at the dull dinner table. Mom and Calix have been conversing with each other the whole time. I've not looked at Aries since the argument a while ago.

He's been doing his thing, and I've been minding my own business isolated in my room. "Today I'm taking you to our training area, " mom says bringing us into their conversation.

The area where the woman died.
The area where she pleaded for me to save her life.
The area when she screamed the same words over and over again, begging to be heard.
"Please".
The area she fell to the ground thinking I would save her.
The area she died, because I was the one who shot her.
I shot an innocent woman.
The area my mom told me that a life wasn't special, getting rid of her body and blood like it was nothing.
"Everyone has a life."

I drop my fork to the glass plate making a loud clank.

Everyone turns to look at me, and I feel their gaze pierce through my skin.

"Sorry, " I mumble smiling, even though I'm crumbling on the inside by my own guilt.

I killed that woman.

Aries rips his gaze from me while the others still look. "It's okay, " Calix replies, smiling back.

The sight of him going crazy hasn't vanished. I still think about it multiple times a day. Wondering why he acted like that. Why he screamed after me.

"Well. Let's get going. People in Insuria are waiting for us."

I follow them into our car. The colors are just as depressing as the atmosphere. Aries is looking out of the window. But this time it isn't because he's angry at his dad. It's because of me. Something I couldn't care less about. He's a selfish prick.

When we walk out of the car, I see Sage, Azariella, and Maddox. They are standing outside the dark building waving their hands. My face instantly lights up as I run towards them.

I can't help but giggle and they wrap their arms around me. Their touch makes me smile even more and I lean my head onto them. Embracing them.

It's quiet. The wind, trees, and birds are muted. The sun isn't shining as bright as it is in Sarjia. Mom dimmed its light down. It's displeasing here.

"I've missed you guys, " I mumble and Maddox pushes my head back, breaking the hug.

"We've missed you too, stupid." He chuckles and I smile back even though I'm slightly offended. He looks a bit older. In five days. It's not a long time. But he still managed to look older.

"Are you guys going to train with us?" I ask hoping I won't be alone with Aries. It would be a pain just being close to him. I look at Azariella. She looks stronger but more tired. Her eyes have dark circles under them, but it suits her. She still looks beautiful.

"Why are you asking? You don't think Aries is attractive enough?" Sage asks, smirking as he pushes my shoulder playfully. He cut his hair short, too. It looks good.

I roll my eyes, as I'm going to answer him but I get interrupted.

"Maeve, join us inside please, " Mom says smiling, and I look at them. Their eyes are wide, wondering who the heck that woman is. I can't help but laugh, as I walk to join the others.

Aries is observing everything in the big arena. Where the exits are, what the type of weapons we have, who has which weapon, and who the strongest opponent is.

It's me. The best in class. Standing right behind him. Ready to confront him at any moment. And the thought hasn't even crossed his mind.

Sabrina arrives with her boyfriend at her side. I've never liked him. He punishes her every time she does one tiny thing he thinks is wrong. Hits her, kicks her only to leave her with a broken nose, or a broken arm.

And she never learns. I've told her, multiple times, only to be pushed away and left alone in front of something that feels like a tall wall made out of bricks. I want to hate her.

And sometimes I do.
But when those moments are over, I still care for her.

The different teenagers are standing in a line, placing every attention on her and her boyfriend. Ambroz. His name is Ambroz. It sounds like an ugly disease.

"Welcome. Today we are going to work on aim and reflexes. You will get partnered up with another boy or girl, and we will put you in a see-through box for you to fight against each other, " she says. Her voice is echoing in the silent room.

"After that, you will practice knife throwing, and shooting with guns. You will get a score at the end of this, " he adds on. His voice is harsh. To show everyone he is the leader here.

Sabrina begins to read from a paper, announcing many different names.

Sarah and Blake.
Alix and Dina.
Aerith and Jackson.
Calandra and Jaxith.

I look at the ground, waiting for my name to be shouted. Wondering who I'll get partnered with. Waiting to rip them apart. Wanting to see the defeated look on their face.

"Aries and Maeve."

I rip my gaze from the floor, looking at her. Her face isn't showing any emotion. I want to ruin her mask one way or another. Make a crack so I can slither my way into her head. I want to know what she thinks about me. About everything. She can't be enjoying this. Being a puppet controlled by everyone. Not making her own choices while she can.

I turn my gaze to Aries, watching him already walking from me onto the invisible square we're going to fight in.

Then, I look at my mom, and she smirks maliciously.
Move, you little piece of shit.

Of course, I do as she wants me to. I follow him, feeling my heartbeat going faster. Not knowing what to expect.