Chapter 27 - The Great Distance

Maddox and I had gone out that afternoon to a burger joint to 'hang out'. Unexpectedly, it turns out he went on a date here years ago with an old girlfriend. They didn't really have a happy ending...

     Now, though, after telling me this story he ended up feeling, well, like crap, so I did my best to reassure him he's a better person now. I've told him this whole thing before but, I guess he can't help but still feel guilty, especially since it impacted that girl pretty badly. Either way, in the end I began to realize that I'm, well, kind of a bad guy... and really, have I changed at all like Maddox said?

     When Maddox came back his face screamed happy. I chuckled at his joyous demeanor before deciding to ask what he was so happy about.

     "That girl back there," he pointed to the small, brunette at the counter, her short hair was pulled into little pigtails. "Look~"

     He pulled a little sticky note from his jacket pocket and slid it over to me. 

     H-her phone number!?

     He stifled a laugh at my reaction. I flinched when I realized how shocked I must have looked, which made me realize that I was probably being really rude.

     "A-ah, I, uh..."

     "What?" he cocked his head to the side, now wearing a look of total purity and innocence. "You don't think I can charm girls anymore?" He tried his best, I could tell, to hide his rising laughter. After a second he totally collapsed and laughed for a bit before sighing and unwrapping his burger. I probably looked totally displeased, it felt like my brows couldn't sink any further without risk of merging with my eyelashes.

     "Relax, relax~" he hummed as he took a big bite out of his burger. "She was so cute though, I couldn't resist." he smiled cheerfully as he reached for the note and slid it back into his pocket. Well, I guess this is like that saying, right? Can't take the country out of the girl... or something like that... Are there any other examples of that saying, that would be really helpful.

     "Are you going to actually, y'know, call her?"

     "Of course. Once I get home I'll give her a call. Don't wanna disappoint, y'know?" he smirked at me, my heart a little confused about how it should feel right now. Maddox, then, disrupted my total and utter inner chaos. "Oh, by the way..." he paused for a moment to look me over before asking, "Are you ever planning on getting yourself a girlfriend or something?"

     I felt my whole face wince at this question. Not what I wanted to hear.

     I gulped as I shakily unwrapped my burger, putting a fry to my lips in between attempts.

     "I uh... I dunno. I mean..." I glanced over to the booth across from us as I tried thinking of what to say. In reality, a big part of me just wanted to get this over with, tell him everything. But at the same time I knew it could potentially ruin what we have. I, we both tried so hard, we fought so much to keep this going. There was no way I could risk having us split up now. I didn't want to be alone, I didn't want to see him alone... but really, would that be so bad? He can handle himself, he would probably be a lot happier on his own. He could flirt with as many girls as he wanted without having me there to make him look bad.

     I looked back over to him. He looked worried.

     "Ah... say... Maddox..." I stopped fiddling around with the wrapper and took a deep breath. "Maddox, I uh... I want to know if... would you be happier without m--"