29. The reason.

Diane's pov

I stared at the locket dangling from Ryan's hand as different emotions ran through me. I didn't know what to do or say, so I stood there looking at the locket, while Jade stared at Ryan.

However, it seemed my action gave Ryan his answer as he walked straight up to me and pulled me into a bone crushing hug.

I stiffened up at first because this wasn't the reaction I had expected but I later relaxed and brought up my hands to his lower back, hugging him back.

"Uhmm, I would be in the kitchen" I heard Jade mutter before going into the kitchen but I could care less.

It felt good to be in my best friend's arms and also the guy 'I had come to like' arms,

His cologne which had made me heady in the concert hall back then, wafted into my nostrils and I inhaled it deeply, loving the smell.

After what seemed like hours but was only minutes, he drew back from the hug and placed his hands on my shoulder,

"Diane" he said almost like he couldn't believe it and I looked up into his eyes to see the emotions swirling in there,

"You don't know how much I've missed you" he said to me and I nodded, willing tears back.

They had really meant a lot to me, back then and even now and it took all in me not to burst into tears of joy.

"I missed you too" I replied but instead of saying anything more, he led me to a couch and sat me down,

"you have a lot of explaining to do" he said his expression changing to that of playful angriness,

"Yeah, I do have a lot of explaining to do" I said and we laughed,

"But seriously, why did you leave abruptly and without so much as saying goodbye?". His expression was now serious and I couldn't help the sadness that enveloped me at the thoughts and memories,

"It's quite a long story",

"I bet it is, my listening ears are sharpened" he said making me chuckle and I sighed,

"Okay then"

*Flashback*

I could still remember that day like it had been yesterday even though it was ten years ago.

I was so happy that afternoon as I skipped home because my best friends were arriving from their trip to Spain tomorrow.

It had been a long two weeks without my best friends and you could bet that I've missed them.

For reasons known to mom, she had insisted on my not following Jade and Ryan on their summer vacation to Spain.

Instead, I had helped out as much as I could at my mom's famous interior design shop.

She received big contracts and I was certain that that was how my mum and my best friend's mum met but I couldn't say much about how our dads met.

But we were two families meshed into one big one.

My house came into view and I skipped the rest of the way up the front porch and knocked on the door.

I waited for quite some time and didn't get any response. Now, that was odd.

Mum had left the shop some minutes ago, saying she had to get something at home, so I was supposed to get a response.

I ringed the bell this time around and still didn't get a response, so i turned the knob and was surprised to find it opened, it was never opened except someone was at home.