happy birthday

note: it's my birthday today !! so here's this little fic as a celebration. here's to 20 ๑(◕‿◕)๑

+ i'm thinking about just making this a natasha x reader book and moving the other fics to a different book. thoughts?? i might do it anyway but idk.
(ha. i did it.)

prompt: keeping the other up long enough to be the first one to tell them happy birthday <3
word count: 2k
prns: not specified

. . .

birthdays were never really that important to you. your experiences had been pretty minimal, given the fact that you kept your circle of friends down to almost no one. there was never any need for extravagant parties or nights for you to black out while you drank, you didn't see any need for it.

as you got older, the idea of throwing a party for simply aging another year seemed ridiculous. but maybe that was because no one ever made you feel valued on such a special day.

and for a while, a card would be sent in your mail from a friend or two across the country, but that stopped shortly after you got to know natasha.

another reason to note the unimportance of your birthday. 

you'd been dating natasha for a couple of years now, and surprisingly, the topic of your birthday never came up. the both of you were constantly working, too caught up in the job to worry about such a small thing in life.

this year would be no different from the last.

and sure enough, august came faster than expected. it was hot, the weather was sticky, and it was too sunny for your liking. in a way, you kind of hated the fact that your birthday wasn't in a fall month. because honestly, nothing interesting ever happens in august.

"hey what's the date?" natasha's voice pulled you from your thoughts. you tore your eyes away from your laptop to find natasha standing in the doorway of your shared room.

"it's the 6th, why?"

"i forgot," she shrugged, not giving away the fact that she knew tomorrow was your birthday. "are you doing anything today?"

"not that i know of, just trying to finish typing this report." natasha didn't like your answer and instead crawled on the bed, shoving your laptop out of her way.

"natasha what the hell-"

she cut you off with a kiss as she adjusted herself on top of your hips. "let's do something today."

"i can't, i have work to do."

"please?" with a gentle sigh, you took in natasha's features. her eyes were soft, hair long red hair loose and wavy, lips soft, burning pink from the kiss she gave you. how could you say no to her? you couldn't.

"fine, but i need to be back in time to finish my work."

"i'm so happy," she leaned down to attack your face with soft kisses, desperate to hear your laugh echo in the room.

"nattyyyyy-"

"i know, i know." natasha slowed herself down with a smirk on her face, "one last kiss?"

"just don't make it your last." she nodded in agreement, crashing her lips back against yours before pulling away.

"alright now go get dressed before i do more than just kiss you."

natasha was squeezing your hand the entire way there. her nerves were buzzing, you could feel it in the shakiness of her grip.

"you alright?"