Chapter 41

~~~

Evan's POV—

It's hazy.

And I can hardly make anything out.

The sounds I hear are very faint and distant.

Where am I?

I wince and I clench my head as flashing and blinding pain surfaces. I try to shake it off, and when I finish shaking my head...

Colors.

Flashing red and blue colors above my head. Wondering where they're coming from, I reach towards them.

And then...

"Blast off!" a little boy with dark hair shouts as he runs around the living room of their house. A flashing red and blue toy rocket that his mom gave him the other day in his hand as his legs carry him around and around the living room couch before they help him to climb onto the table.

"What a strange planet this is...I wonder if there are aliens..." he says as he takes a look around the room before he starts to twirl in place, stretching his arms above his head as high as he can.

"Evan! Get down from the table, you'll fall!" his nanny, Opal, shouts from the top of the stairs. He stops spinning and just gives her a side glance before he jumps down from the table and continues to run.

"Be careful!" is the only thing Opal says as the boy gets further and further away from the living room.

He runs into the den, and jumps onto the couch. Trying to keep his balance, he runs and jumps over the cushions before he jumps over the arm of the couch and continues on running.

"This is Captain Carter saying: we—"

"Need to stop running in the house. And—your shoes are still on, there's dirt everywhere!?" Opal tells him, interrupting him.

"That's not what Captain Carter was gonna say," he states as he zips the toy around in the air, giving Opal half of his attention.

As his nanny continues to yell at him, his older brother walks into the room with a book in his hand. The boy only laughs as Jaxon just barely misses running into the counter right next to the fridge.

"Jaxon! Come play with Captain Carter!" the boy insists as he runs to his older sibling, ignoring Opal as she tries to say something. The boy jumps as fingers just barely graze his back—most likely it being Opal again.

"Not now, Evan. I'm reading," the older kid says, making the younger one pout and groan, and stomp his foot on the floor.

"But you never play with me!" the toddler whines.

"Look. One more chapter and I'll play with Captain Carter, deal?" Jaxon suggests. The boy hums as he brings his finger to his lip.

"Deal...what are you reading anyway," he asks Jaxon as he proceeds to wave his arm around in the air, making his rocket fly again.

"Harry Potter."

The boy suddenly stops and looks up at his brother.

"You're reading a book about a hairy pot? You weirdo," he tells him.

"Harry Potter. Not hairy pot. It's—"

The little boy is out of the room before Jaxon can finish.

Opal shouts at the boy again as he runs back into the living, jumping over and dodging rocks (pillows in which he threw on the floor) and planets (the flowers his mom has all over the house) and aliens (Opal).