Chapter 25

~~~

Evan's POV—

"Still won't eat avocados?" Shawn asks Alex as he notices him pushing the green fruit around his plate.

"Shit's gross, so no. You want them?" Alex asks him as he pushes his plate across the table to him. Shawn shrugs as he reaches for the couple that are on Alex's plate. I can't help but laugh a little when Alex cringes at the sight of Shawn eating them.

"Why'd you even grab a salad anyway? Spencer wasn't with us in line to tell you to grab one," Brittany says. She makes a good point. Alex very well could have grabbed something else from the lunch line. But he chose to get the salad.

I thought he would have noticed it before he'd reach the cash register, which is partially why I didn't say anything to him while standing behind him in line. But he didn't realize and ended up paying for it.

It was funny seeing his reaction when he reached the table.

"I don't know. I guess I got used to it? I hardly even noticed I grabbed it in the first place until after I paid for it and was already sitting down at the table. By then I was just too lazy to get back up and get something else," he explains as he leans his chin in the palm of his hand, poking at the lettuce with his fork.

"Speaking of Spencer, why isn't she with us? Rude, if you ask me to just ditch us." Shawn comments as he looks over at the other side of the cafeteria. And there she is. Sitting at another table with other people.

"She has other friends, you know. She can sit with whoever she wants." I tell him, mumbling towards the end as I take another bite of my sandwich. My phone buzzes on the table, with a message from Alex.

"She'll get over it soon" is all he says. I look at him, catching his eyes. My only response to it is just a sigh and a shrug of my shoulders.

You'd be surprised on how quick gossip gets around the halls of this school, especially when it starts from just one person. Give it an hour, or at least 30 minutes, and literally half of the school already knows.

Like damn.

Do these people have nothing else better to do than just gossip about people and then further spread it around?

Someone saw me and Ashley kissing in the hallway on Monday. All it took was one person to get word about it to everyone. I was approached multiple times the rest of the day regarding it, and so was Ashley. When we walked into the school together the following morning, heck even while we were walking to my car at the end of the day the day before, we were approached by a few people with questions, demanding answers about it.

I guess it was partially my fault. Of all the places, I just had to kiss her in the middle of the hallway, where everyone could see.

And if people were already talking about the big possibility that Ashley and I could be dating...well that went from a "possible" thing to a "for sure" thing.

I'm not saying I regret kissing her or anything.

Just the drama it's causing is such a pain in the ass.

And it goes without saying that Spencer quickly heard about it, too. Drew, Shawn, and Brittany as well, but Spencer had more of a reaction to it. Mainly because I didn't tell her sooner and she had to find out about it through someone else.

She had already suspected something was going on between me and Ashley beforehand, but every time she questioned me about it, I either changed the subject or denied it. Partially because I didn't want her getting mad or anything, and because I was, and still am, highly confused on this whole 'dating' thing.