jeno's secret

"Are you not going to drop it?" Jaehyun complained as I dragged him to the library for the nth time that week

"Are you not going to drop it?" Jaehyun complained as I dragged him to the library for the nth time that week. "We should be training for the Arena of Kiken and here you are finding a book! You won't even tell me what book it is, or for what!"

The reason why I had a hunch was because of an old friend.

Ghatsa: Are you sure it's not steroids? That jeno kid does seem buff but hardly one of my kind.
Nabi: Mhm, fits the bill though... right?
Ghatsa: Definitely. Maybe check the alien checkbook out. Not sure if the closest library has it but it looks like this.
Nabi: thanks, will do.

I found the book tucked away in a corner and as Jaehyun looked over my shoulder, he saw that it was an encyclopedia of aliens. All the species that had arrived on earth.

"When the space ship came down, humans had divided the newcomers into two. Aliens and Creatures. Aliens could think, speak and had an advanced neocortex and lastly... reproduce with humans," I began, Jaehyun asking me what a neocortex was.

A neocortex is part of the brain where it was responsible for advanced thinking. Higher cognitive functioning.

"Jae, let's say if I were a dog, I would be okay with doing the same thing over and over again every day. I would eat the same food, sleep the same time and as I wake up in the morning, it's just another day. It's because I do not have an advanced neocortex," I told him, pointing to my brain. "But if I was human, each and every passing day holds value. I get scared of getting old, I get bored and I tell myself that I can't keep living life this way."

"This is because humans have an advanced neocortex?" Jaehyun asked and I nodded. "So you're saying that what divides an Alien and a Creature would be an advanced neocortex?"

"Yes. In our old world, it would be what differs us from animals. However, aliens and creatures are a bit different. Even the creatures from the spaceship had a typically more advanced neocortex than our average animal. Or minions, our jungle monsters... those are aliens since they can talk and speak but they live like creatures."

"In cages and under the ground and such," Jaehyun read and I nodded. "That's such a blurred gray line."

I nodded, sighing.

"Now, I wanted to read this part. Aliens that could reproduce with humans," I told Jaehyun, flipping the book. "Even aliens have a class. Class 1 Aliens are the Aias, the Veeras, and the Elkens."

"That's Taeyong's mother," Jaehyun said suddenly. "She's an Aias. Aias are known to be elven-like with glittery skin and shifting eyes. Their pupils sometimes look like marble. They are known to be calm and succeed in creativity. They look... like Taeyong, I guess. Ethereal."

I agreed. Taeyong's beauty was a different breed.

"Class 1 Aliens were the ones who lead the species so they are very well respected," I said, Jaehyun already engrossed in the history lesson. "Now, Class 2 Aliens are the followers."