Part 22

You sat at the dining room table eating breakfast and skimming through the baby name book Paul had bought the afternoon at the mall before you had collapsed. Though you still had a few weeks until you found out the sex of the baby, you wanted to have a name that both of you agreed on. Hearing someone singing pulled your attention from the book, finding Paul and Evan walking down the stairs. Paul had spent the last week humming the same tune, and you had caught him a few times singing it to the toddler when putting him to bed at night.

"Is that song going to be on the new album? I've heard you working on it for weeks," You asked.

"I want it to be. It's just getting my bandmates to agree to it. It is for my boy, but Gene thinks it's too wimpy for this stupid grunge album he has in mind." Paul replied, putting Evan in the high chair.

"A grunge album? That's not what KISS is about. What's there for you guys to be down about?" You asked.

"I knew there was another reason why I loved you. What are you doing with the baby book?" The singer asked, grabbing a snack for the toddler.

"Just seeing if something sticks out to me for a name. I know we don't know the gender yet, but maybe we can find one we can agree on," you said with a shrug.

"Speaking of the studio, I have to run over there to work on some of the music the other guys have. Pam will be here in a bit to pick Evan up. Can you handle that for me?" Paul asked.

"Paul, I don't think that's a good idea. She already hates me. Pam will flip out finding me alone with Evan," You said.

"I promise, baby, It will be the easiest thing ever. Just say hello and give her Evan. That's it. If there is an issue, the studio number is by phone. Please?" the singer asked, pouting down at you.

"Fine, but tonight you owe me," you replied, pointing at him.

Paul shook his head and flashed the smirk that made your knees shake. You watched him make his way to Evan, kissing the little boy's head, seeing a flash of sadness glimmer through the singer's brown eyes. Standing up from the chair you were sitting in, grabbing Paul's arm stopping him from walking toward the kitchen to gather his belongings for the studio. The singer tilted his head to the side, confused by the sudden move you made.

"You're a great father, and Evan knows you love him." You said, looking up at the singer.

"I wish my kids could grow up in the same house." Paul replied, touching your stomach.

"I love you. Now get to the studio, and don't forget about tonight," You said, kissing him.

"Bye Daddy, see you tomorrow," Evan called as he waved.

"Bye-bye Evan, I love you both," Paul replied, the sad smile

Paul wiped his eyes as he walked back to the kitchen and gathered his stuff. He looked at you two one last time before walking out the door. You turned back to Evan, seeing the little boy grinning up at you with applesauce smeared across his face. Walking over, you pulled the toddler from his chair, carrying him toward the stairs.

"Let's get you cleaned up and dressed before mommy gets here. You want to get all handsome for your mommy?" You asked.

"I want to get handsome like my daddy," Evan replied.

-----------------------------------------

(Paul POV)

The singer strolled into the recording studio carrying his notebook of lyrics, spotting both Eric and Bruce sitting in the control room. Paul nodded hello to the two men before walking around the building, trying to find his missing bandmate. After a few minutes, he rounded the corner, finding the bassist flirting with the receptionist at the front door. The guitarist sighed and walked over to the desk, catching the young woman's attention, whose face immediately paled at the sight of Paul.