Part 21

The two of you walked around downtown with Evan sitting on top of Paul's shoulders. The singer was adamant about you picking out gifts for your birthday, something you still weren't used to, someone spoiling you. You were usually the one going all out for a family's birthdays or holidays, not the other way around. Paul stopped in front of a local restaurant and turned to look at you.

"Let's get some lunch first; it will keep Evan from getting cranky for a bit and give us a chance to talk about your birthday or whatever you want," Paul said

"Sure, that sounds great," You replied.

Paul pulled his son off the top of his shoulder and kissed Evan's cheek, then yours. You grinned to yourself as memories fled in of the first time you had taken the singer to the diner in your town after spending the night at his hotel. The night that had led Paul and you to this point, in a happy and stable relationship with a baby on the way and enjoying time with Evan. A life that you never thought would exist for someone like you.

"What are you grinning about?" Paul asked as he sat Evan in the high chair.

"A diner is where all this started, I mean between you and me." You replied.

"The best morning I ever had. Now a year later I've never been happier." He said.

The server came to the table and quickly took your orders, stopping to play with Evan. Paul leaned his head on his hand as the two of you watched Evan smirk at the younger woman and talked to her. You shook your head, seeing the little boy flirting just like his dad. The lady went to walk away to place your order in the kitchen but turned back to the two of you.

"Your little boy is such a little charmer and so cute! He got his good looks from both of you. I bet he is going to be a little heartbreaker." The woman replied.

"Evan is going to be a little charmer and gentleman," You said, smiling down at the little boy.

"Thank you so much," Paul replied, looking back at you.

The young lady turned back around and walked toward the kitchen. Paul looked at you with his head tilted to the side as he stared, making you confused. He turned back to Evan, handing the little boy the crayon and color page that came with his menu. Evan laughed and scribbled across the page, making the singer let out a heavy sigh. You reached across the table and grabbed his hand, rubbing your thumb gently across his knuckles.

"Did I upset you?" You asked.

"Oh no, not at all. I'm just shocked at how well you handled that. I figured you would flip out and correct her." Paul replied.

"I didn't think I needed to; people are going to assume us being together with him, that he is mine too. It would upset Evan, too. I don't want him to ever think that just because he's not mine that I won't love him just as I do his brother or sister." You said, taking a sip from your drink.

"Have I told you how much I love you today?" The singer asked.

"I don't think so, but I love you too," You said with a laugh.

Paul threw the straw wrapper at you, making Evan look up from his paper and start giggling, sending both you and the singer into a rage of laughter. The two of you dried the tears from your eyes as the server returned with your meals. Paul nodded at the woman, and you started cutting up Evan's chicken tenders, making sure they were not too hot for the toddler to consume.

"If you could pick a place to go for vacation, where would it be? Paul asked, between bites of his burger.

"The mountains," You replied, matter-of-factly.