Chapter 10

*2 days later (Zayn's birthday)*

"Lo! Check the oven it's beeping," Ally called from Lauren's living room.

Lauren made her way down stairs after showering and getting dressed. Ally had been waiting for Lauren to get home from softball practice so that she could help Lauren make the special cake she had been thinking of designing for Zayn. Sure Lauren knew how to decorate and bake a cake, but not at the same quality Ally did, Ally was the go-to girl for baked goods.

"Ally I think it's done," Lauren called as she stuck a toothpick in the center of the large chocolate loaf.

Ally made her way over and checked the same way Lauren did, "Yeah it's done," Ally agreed and grabbed the oven mitts off the counter to pull the hot tray out.

"It smells amazing," Lauren said as she took in a deep breathe.

"Let's make the fondant while it cools off," Ally said grabbing the ingredients they had bought.

The two girls got to work and about 5 minutes later Lauren heard her phone ringing from upstairs,

'Light reflects from your shadow
It is more than I thought could exist
You move through the room
Like breathing was easy
If someone believed me

They would be
As in love with you as I am
They would be
As in love with you as I am
They would be
As in love with you as I am
They would be
In love, love, love'

"Oh shit, I forgot to call Zayn when I got home," Lauren said dropping what she was doing and running up to her room to grab her phone before it would stop ringing.

"Hello," Lauren said out of breath.

"Babe? You okay?" Zayn asked on the other end of the phone.

"Yeah I was just running from down stairs to get the phone in time. Sorry I didn't call, I got home and Ally was here cause she needed help with some stuff and then I was showering and yeah. But I'm fine, I'm home," Lauren ranted.

"That's okay love, I just wanted to make sure you were safe. You're still coming to dinner at my place tonight right?" Zayn responded.

"Of course, why wouldn't I?" Lauren questioned as she made her way back downstairs.

"Just checking, you said you were helping Ally with something so-"

"I'm gonna be there, don't worry. You said at 8 right? Its 6:30 right now, Ally and I should be done soon and once we are, I'm heading over there." Lauren said cutting Zayn off.

"What about-"

"Yes I'm still going with you to get your tattoo after dinner, my parents already know I'm going to be out late." Lauren interrupted again.

Zayn laughed, "okay annoying, I'll see you later, love you."

Lauren gasped feigning shock, "How dare you, I am not."

"Sureeee," Zayn said extending the word sarcastically.

Lauren giggled, "Bye birthday boy, love you," Lauren said before hanging up.

Lauren slid her phone in her pocket and turned to Ally and continued working on what she was doing before.

----------------------

Lauren pulled up to Zayn's house and parked her car. She checked herself in her car mirror before getting out and heading to the front door. As she was about to knock on the door it swung open, Lauren was taken by surprise and jumped a bit. Standing at the door was Zayn's youngest sister, Safaa.