38. The prom night

Me, Angelina and Alicia had been getting ready for the whole afternoon. They were excited, me not that much. I would've loved it if I wasn't opening the ball myself with a dance, expecially with Harry and his "skills". I hoped the fun would come just after that nightmare.

Alicia and I were in good terms. She told me her and Fred broke up, nothing much of the matter, silently we knew what was going on, speaking of it would only make things more awkward. Both of us just wanted to forget the whole thing and be back as normal roomates and friends.

Leaving my dorm I met Harry and Ron in the common room. Some students had already left to the dance others still waited around for their partners, hands fiddling in one another or fingers scrubbing the back of their heads in nervousness.

Going down the stairs I couldn't disguise the look on my face when I looked at Ron.

"What are you wearing Ronald? I'm sorry but those look ancient, like victorian era ancient" I laughed aproaching them as he received me with an annoyed face and Harry giggled joining my side. Ronald and I were never the best of friends as we liked to annoy eachother frequently, but deep down I was greatfull. The nights I had met him in the kitchen in coincidence and he had seen my sad face, he'd never spoken about it, not even mencioned it. I was greatfull for that, it made me smile thinking of that soft side of him.

"Oh please not you too. I've been mocked enough by Fred and George" he sighted "It isn't that bad. Is it that bad Harry?"

"Uhmm... just a little bit" Harry told him sassly.

"Don't worry. It's not like you're the center of attention. I'm going to have to dance with him in front of everyone" I tapped his shoulder confortingly, pointing to Harry, making a giggle escape Ron's mouth as we began walking from the portrait wall.

"Hey!" He scolded as if offended.

"What? It's true. You can't dance for shit"

"Watch your language miss!" I heard the lady of the portrait yell behind my back.

"Sorry sweetheart" I apologised to her. She was not as bad as everyone said she was. She just wanted someone that listened to her sing, and I didn't really mind, dad sings worse than her, besides she hits some pretty high notes.

I remember one night when I came back from stealing some food from the kitchen and had some time chatting with her. Maybe she was the usual old lady that could be annoying sometimes with her rants, but I liked listening to her talking about her exiting young days, singing, stealing hearts, and having fun. A nice life if you think about it.

・❥・

The castle seemed much more filled that night. Students in their suits and fancy dresses, arms wrapped around eachothers and smiles all around, not the usual yired faces and necks around tight ties.

I walked down the stairs, cheeks red with the nervousness and feeling that everyone might off be looking at me, even if they weren't.

But my thoughts went away with Ron's stupid words

"Poor kid, I bet she's alone in her room balling her eyes out" he spoke of Hermione.

"Who?" Harry asked ingenuingly.

"Hermione, of course"

"Are you serious right now?" I quickly scolded the back of his head at his words, as if the girl owned him something.

"What? Why do you think she didn't tell us who she's going with?" he tilted his head, whispering to Harry and me who stood between them.

"Because maybe you'd take the mickey out if her if she did" I told him already full of his rants.