Chapter - 4

The next time I was pulled back from sleep, it had turned dark. My eyes fluttered open from the soft noise and the ticklish feeling that I felt every few seconds on the left side of my body, the silky-smooth curtains that led to an open space fluttering from the cool evening air.

I squinted my eyes, trying to get a proper look at the moon, hoping to understand what day it bloody was. The moon had been crescent the day we attacked, how long had it been since then? Maybe I could just go out into the balcony a little to get a proper idea?

A throat clearing answered that question pretty quickly and I jumped back into a straighter stance, the chuckle the god gave out from his comfortable bed making me flush in annoyance and embarrassment.

He was treating me as if I was a pet that amused him.

"What's your name human?" The god called out, sipping on something red, which I am just going to ignore completely, his eyes lazily draped on me, the glass tipped towards me like earlier, the look on his face almost childish, the dark tint of his lips so red that it almost felt like the blood of all those he had ever slaughtered colored him.

He was so not what I had expected him to be.

"Csilla." I murmured very lowly, a part of me hoping he hadn't heard me, the fact that a god knew my name somehow turning everything very personal and invasive.

He snorted loudly, putting his glass away on the table beside his bed, in front of me the very next second, the suddenness of his movements still scary enough to make me flinch and back away.

"Tell me Csilla..." He drawled, the way he sang my name intoxicating and threatening in a way I knew only he could pull off, "Do you see the irony your name is for me?" I knew exactly what he was talking about. "Your name means star. I hope you knew that, did you?" I nodded and cringed away from his finger that traced my chin, every single move of his making me shoot up in attention, the lack of food in my body still a little bit of a problem, my movements sluggish and fatigued even after the nap I just woke up from.

His finger twirled a piece of my hair and then pulled back harshly, making me hiss out, my eyes snapping open as he pulled my face up by my hair.

"Why don't you tell me about it?" I nodded frantically, agreeing to anything he asked of me as long as he was not touching or hurting me.

"Stars are the only part of night you do not control!" I gasped out when he only pulled on my hair, seemingly not ready to let go before I answered him, the roots on my scalp hurting the more he pulled.

"Was that so hard?" He taunted as he let go, the relief immediate.

"No. I'm sorry your majesty." I murmured, scooting away when he walked up beside me, trying not to make it obvious that I was running away from him.

"Tell me, what names do you humans call me? I've heard quite a bit of fascinating ones but perhaps you know more of them?" There wasn't a tinge of anger in his voice but something told me that he was not going to be happy when I answer.

I really don't want to answer that question.

"We do not know your name like we do of the other gods, your majesty." I whispered softly, proud of myself for coming up with such a smart answer.

"I'm well aware of the fact that those bastards are too afraid to let my name out human, I asked what improvisions have you made for the absence. Do not get technical with me."

Alright, someone did not like my smart move.

"The beast king. Or the dark lord." I quickly ratted out, waiting for some sort of violence to elicit from him, cringing away already. To my utter surprise he laughed.