Chapter - 21

The first thing I heard was the rustle of leaves.

I fluttered my eyes, disheveled and feeling unconnected from my own body, my hands tentatively pushing myself off the cushioned surface, my brows marring in a frown when I noticed glass covering the course of my body.

Disoriented, I pushed the glass, sitting up, ignoring the loud crash when the crystal shattered into a million pieces in the corner of the room, my eyes dropping to my lace glove covered hands, surprised by the power I had exerted in the throw.

I scanned the course of my figure, the golden gown that covered me smelling like too many things. Annoyed by the itchy feeling of the gloves I pulled them violently off of me, feeling a lot of fury churning in the back of my head, the constant knocking that was taking place in my head as if something wanted in making me let out a 'nuh-uh' sound.

I slipped out of the rectangular box type of thing I was in, looking down into it once I was out, the white cushioned inside different from the blackwood and metal and emeralds adorning and decorating the outside of the box.

No. Not box. Coffin.

It was a coffin.

I frowned, wondering why and who placed me in a coffin when I was very much alive, the blankness in my head that should've scared me doing nothing to me.

I took a step towards the door that was in my sight, stopping when I heard distant hurried footsteps slapping against the floor obstructed by the walls of the room I was in.

Whoever it was, they sure were in a hurry.

I tried to remember what could have led me here, not being able to think clearly with the constant interruption of the thing in my head, the smell that drifted in my nose enticing me to take a few steps forward to reach it.

The door was slammed open, the loud bang making me cringe from how much it hurt my ears, a soft annoyed snarl leaving me.

I stared curiously at the man that was slightly panting with wide eyes, his blue eyes flickering to black and silver, his mouth dropped open, the chiseled handsomely shaped jaw slack with his jet-black hair all messed up as he stood against the door he had just very viciously thrown open.

He seemed familiar.

The knocking in my head turned rapid, as if banging memories back in my head and ready to hurt me to get inside, the knowledge of who he was hitting me suddenly, the smell I was just about to go out to look for now clear as it increased the more the man inched towards me.

"Cassius."

I murmured, searching his face with a cautious look etched on mine to see if that indeed was his name and whether or not I was right, the way his breath hitched and the low rumbling that built in the man's chest telling me I was right, the smell that came from him in that one second almost enough to make me drool.

That was when something else also dropped.

He was not a man. He was a god. A god who had killed me. Memories flooded through the guarded wall that had been keeping my mind black and I breathed in deeply as everything came rushing back, from the war to the capture to everything that happened after and then the pain I had felt.

My hand went to trace the skin that he had punctured to feel for scars, the smooth skin confusing me, the look in the eyes of the god one of pure anguish and guilt as he saw me do it. "You killed me." I spoke, stating it, not asking because I had died. I had. I knew that now. Something was wrong. Something was different.

I had died and I had felt my thundering heart slowly, I had felt myself take my last breath and I had most definitely felt the darkness. Too much of it perhaps.