Chapter 10

" Now we all know what our tradition is for the camp song, all the counselors on the stage!" Ava announces. Oh, joy. I forgot we did this. Plus, it'll be even more interesting with Will. Will doesn't know the song or the motions, but he'll still have to do it.

Once we are all on stage, Ava's Mom starts playing the piano. We all sing along. Will is standing in the back, looking extremely awkward. He tries to keep up with the fast pace motions but fails miserably. I laugh and shuffle to the back of the stage to try and help him. We end up just dying of laughter and Will doing dance moves that don't go with the song at all. The kids are dying of laughter at our antics.

When the song ends we head back to our respected teams. I sit down next to Bet and she giggles, " That was funny!"

I chuckle, " I know wasn't it?" She nods and I smile. I love when children warm up to me. I always feel like I've made some major accomplishment.

    We have some team games after the song. Ava announces that we are going to play 'Bus'. I clap my hands in excitement when I hear this. The game consists of having several rows of chairs on the stage. There is one chair set upstage right. Ava picks Nat to be the driver. He sits in the honored seat. " Now everyone line up, the first person who gets on stage, has to act out something and the rest of the people on the bus have to do the same thing, Lena you can start just for reference." Ava orders.

    Lena gets up on stage and starts sneezing furiously, she goes and sits down still sneezing. Nat copies her, sneezing violently while gripping an imaginary steering wheel. We all laugh, catching on to the game. It goes on like this till every seat in the bus is full. Then those people get off and we get a new driver. Will, happening to be the next person in line, gets this wonderful privilege. He settles himself in the seat and Parker a young boy from our team, steps up, grabbing his foot and moaning in pain, " My toe! I broke it!" Will immediately lets go of the 'steering wheel' and moans in pain also.

    Bet is next. She looks a little nervous but once she gets on stage, her confidence grows. "This is the best day of my LIFE!" She runs around laughing and hopping. Will and Parker start whooping, pumping their fists, and doing little jigs.

    I'm up next, as soon as I get on stage I scream, " THE FLOOR IS LAVA!" I dive for the nearest seat and stand on it, proceeding to scream.

    I take this vantage point as a wonderful opportunity to see what Will is doing. He's standing on the driver's seat, still holding onto the wheel and yelling, " THIS IS NOT A GOOD TIME TO BE GOING DOWN A HILL!" Everyone is rolling in laughter.

After that game, we have a team-building game. I'm most excited about this because we can get to know the kids we'll be working with a bit better. Ava announces that we are going to play the Pizza Hut game, she pulls all the counselors onto the stage and we sing a short simple song. Will surprisingly knows this song, and sings along, " A Pizza Hut, a Pizza Hut, a Taco Bell and a Pizza Hut, a Pizza Hut, a Pizza Hut, a Taco Bell and a Pizza Hut. McDonald's, McDonald's! A Taco Bell and a Pizza Hut." We do motions that signify the fast food places, as in making a little arch with our arms for McDonald's.

" Now each of your teams has to pick a subject, like fast food in this case, and make it into that song, motions and all. Okay! Gather into your teams, you have ten minutes to figure it out." Ava instructs.

Will and I gather our small fry and head to a corner of the auditorium. We sit in a circle and I say, " Okay what do you want our subject to be?"

" Oooooh, animals!" Parker suggests.

" That is way too original, a lot of other teams will probably do that." An outspoken boy named Jake says.

" What about different emotions? Like the movie Inside Out?" Pipes up Angelo, another boy who has dark skin and huge brown eyes.

" That's a great idea! But does anyone want to do anything else?" Will asks. Surprisingly, they all shake their heads no. " Okay, emotions it is. What three emotions should we do?"

Bet, who hasn't said anything this whole time suddenly says, " We could do sadness, joy, and anger. Anger could be the last one because it'll surprise everybody."

" Good idea! Everyone else wants to do that?" I ask. They all did. " The next thing is motions, what should we do for those?"

" For sadness, we should do like, sobbing." Antonio, suggests. He puts his head in his hands and acts like he's having a mental breakdown.

" Then for Joy, we should jump around and laugh like Bet did for the Bus game!" Angelo says, smiling kindly at Bet. I suspect that Angelo and Antonio are twins, they look to both be around ten years old and look the same.

    " For anger, we could stomp our feet and look mad!" Parker puts in. Everyone voices their approval and we start practicing our song.

                                                                  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    I'm sitting on the counter in the kitchen, talking to all the counselors. We are having a break while Mrs. B, Ava's mom, is reading all the children a story. The subject is mostly about how our teams are and if any of the kids are giving us a rough time.

    " That boy gets on my nerves so bad," Elisabeth complains.

    " He didn't want to do anything that the other kids wanted to do for our song!" Nat adds. They are talking about an eight-year-old boy on their team named Calvin. He gets into tons of mischief and all the other campers fear him for his tantrums.

    " You and Will are so lucky, your kids look amazing! I mean, Bet is so cute." Elisabeth says.

    " Don't blame us for getting the fun ones, plus it's our first day, we still have a lot to go yet. Some of them may not like the pressure once they start memorizing all their lines and having to do hours of director time." I retort. I am a bit embarrassed that we don't have struggles with our team. It's just not normal.

    " Antonio looks like a feisty one though, I feel like we'll get some antics from him." Will chuckles.

    " He was hilarious during you guy's song." Lena laughs. Everyone smiles at the memory, Antonio had full out leaped into the air and landed hard on his butt for the joy part of our song.

    " I like most of the kids though, their great," Nat says.

    I nod, agreeing. I loved the children on Will and I's team. Plus we work together really well. The children went to Will for a good laugh, and to me for some words of advice.

    " K, y'all time to gather up your peeps and head to director time," Ava says, popping her head through the kitchen door. We all file out one by one. Will looks down at me and smiles as we walk down the hall. " Ready?" He asks.

    " As ready as I'll ever be to direct a group of hyperactive kids for an hour," I reply, grinning.

Authors Note
Hiya everyone!
Thanks for 200 reads yay!
Comment, vote, and follow.
The boy at the top is how I picture Antonio.
Thanks!
                -heavengrace55