Chapter 13

I ask the Lord every day how I get into so many awkward situations. Like seriously, it seems I have a talent for getting into them. I am currently coughing my lungs out. During director time. Will of course has taken over but I still have to be there.

    Every time I cough or hack or whatever you want to call the sounds erupting from my throat, the children get distracted from their lines and pause to give me concerned looks. It doesn't help that once in a great while Will pats my back. As if he can pound the sickness out of me.

    Jake, Parker, and Antonio are making laps around the nursery, they are the three wise men and in the real show they will walk down the aisle but the nursery is too small so we make them pace back and forth for the time being. Antonio is looking very unmotivated. He trudges behind Jake and Parker, sadly clutching his little package of Murr. Perhaps he is sad that his twin is not in the trio.

Angelo sits proudly next to his 'wife'. He of course is very proud to be playing the main character. I also suspect he is pleased to be wed to the beautiful Bet, who is the only girl on the team.

My one hundredth coughing spell calms and I watch the children say their lines and practice blocking. It took a while to figure out the new scene at the beginning, but that was over now, and we are zooming through the rest of it. Thankfully, we are getting the hang of it.

Quite suddenly, Antonio grips his stomach and rushes out the door. Not again. I think. Will gets up and follows him, as he heads after the troubled child, he looks back at me with a desperate look. I shrug and tell the rest of the children to keep going.

                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

" It's probably an epidemic," Nat says mysteriously.

    We all roll our eyes. The only people who had gotten sick were me, Parker, and Angelo. Plus, I haven't even barfed... yet.

    Inevitably, the reason why Angelo was sad was that he didn't feel good. The problem was, he didn't want to tell anyone and kept it bottled up inside until he couldn't hold it in anymore. Literally.

    Poor Will. Always having to take care of sick people. Surprisingly, he was good at it.

    Once again, we counselors were lounging in the kitchen. It was lunch, and we were all sitting on the floor and counters eating. To my, relief Will had packed a lunch. Another relief is that I feel much better and my voice is almost back to normal. Will's tea must have worked.

    " I just hope it won't spread or anything," Lena states, shoving sushi into her mouth.

    " It shouldn't," Harper says. I can see in her eyes she's doubtful though.

    The conversation slows as we all eat. Being a counselor isn't easy and we are all hungry. I am eating a salad. Yup, it's a miracle. Actually, my Mom packed my lunch so it's not really. I'm also sick, so that makes a difference. To my sadness, she didn't pack me any dessert. I guess she thought I shouldn't be consuming sugar. " Does anybody have extra dessert I can have?" I ask. Who cares if I'm just getting over an illness, I need my sugar.

    " I have some." Will pulls a literal bin out of his lunchbox. To my excitement, it is full of brownies. I have a major weakness for brownies. I make a little happy squeal and stand up to retrieve the dessert. But when I make it over to Will, he hops up from the floor and holds the bin over his head.

    " Give. It. To. Me." I growl. I'm not angry with him, I just want brownies.

    " Say please." He teases.

    " No!" To my embarrassment, my voice cracks when I say it. Then to my horror Will bolts out the door still carrying the bin. That's it. This is war. The whole lot of counselors stare at me as I run after him.

    I chase him down the hall, dodging the campers who are sitting in groups on the floor. "You said I could have it!" I yell after him. Then I realize I sound like a small child and that just makes me run harder. He runs out the front door. Great. It's raining. Oh well. Sometimes in life, you just have to make sacrifices. I run out into the rain, I just catch sight of him jogging around the side of the building. Water is running in streams down my face and my hair is already plastered to my forehead. My clothes are soaked.

    When I round the side of the building I see Will just standing there. He's eating a brownie and smiling. There is no bin in sight. " What? Where-?" He cuts me off.

    "I got tired of running so I hid it." He says happily.

    " Are you crazy?" I pant, wringing out my hair even though it's still pouring.

    He shrugs. " Probably." He then grins and sheepishly pulls the bin from behind his back. I don't take any chances and grab it from him. I open the bin and stuff a brownie into my mouth. I tip my head back, letting the rain rush over me as I eat the deliciousness. When I'm finished I see Will staring at me. Swallowing I give him an inquisitive look.

    He is also drenched to the bone and his white t-shirt is sticking to him. In this state, I can't help but notice how perfect he is. His body is almost pure muscle. I don't notice how long we've been staring at each other until he clears his throat and quickly turns around, heading back to the building.

Authors note
Hello! Things are getting spicy!😏
     Vote, comment, and follow!
                             -heavengrace55