Chapter 23

We're singing the camp song again. I stand next to Will and we move in sync, dancing to the song. Thankfully, Will knows what he's doing this time. But Mark doesn't. Out of the corner of my eye, I watch him struggle. I almost feel bad. Almost. I mean, he chose to sign up for a week of absolute craziness.

    After we finish the song, we get to have quality time with our new team. I'm nervous, considering the strange way Oliver behaves, and the fact that all the other kids are only a few years younger than me. I don't know if Will is anxious about the whole ordeal or not. If he is, he's hiding it well.

    Ava has planned for all the teams to sit in little circles( theater people love circles ) and play Swat. I personally hate the game, but of course, we still have to do it. If you are a person who has a low pain tolerance, you'll probably not enjoy it, like me.

    Will stands in the middle of our circle and says, " Alright guys! We're going to have everyone say their names again, then we'll start the game. Does everyone remember how Ava explained it?" They all nod, " Good, you can start us off." Will points at a tall, lanky boy who is the oldest of the group. He has curly brown hair and bright blue eyes. I can tell that all the girls are going to be in love with him by the end of the week.

    " My name's Arthur," now I'm even more certain that the ladies are going to fall head over heels. I mean with a name like that...

    I almost miss the next team member's name in my revery. " And mine is Evelyn," these words come out of a perfectly shaped mouth, That's on a perfectly shaped face, that's on a perfectly shaped, well, everything. This girl is drop dead gorgeous. She looks as if she is eighteen, but I know that's not possible. Her blond hair has dyed pink streaks in it, and her eyes are pure ice. I imagine that she could kill someone with a single look.

     Oliver says his name next. Very solemnly of course. Then a chunky boy with greasy black hair that is stuffed under a ratty baseball cap says, " My names Caleb," it sounds like his nasal passage is blocked. You know, one of those people who always sound like they have a cold. He'd be the perfect Uncle for our one-act I think. Then I silently scold myself for thinking such a thing. Counselors are supposed to be more mature than that. Though, Will and I are far from what I would call mature.

     " I'm Nolan," I stare at this kid. I try to find a nice, striking feature about him, but I just can't. He's average. He's beyond average. I'm pretty sure he's the most average thirteen-year-old I have ever witnessed. Brown hair. Brown eyes. Pale skin. Normal height. Everything that's required for the average male.

     Will and I share a glance. We know that this team is going to be a tough nut to crack. We had it easy the first time, but now, I feel we have the hardest team in the history of the world. Also, how are we going to get these to act? None of them look like theater kids. Trust me, I can spot a theater kid from a mile away. Probably their parents just wanted them out of the house for a week and signed them up for something that they didn't even want to go to.

      I ponder all this as we play Swat. None of them are really into it and Evelyn keeps giggling every time Arthur is the person in the middle of the circle. It's sickening.

     After about half an hour Ava announces that her Mom is going to tell a story while the counselors take a break and get ready for director time. I swear I see Evelyn roll her eyes at Ava's words. But she's more than happy to sit next to Arthur during the story.

     Will and I walk back to the kitchen and practically collapse into a chair. I put my head in my hands and let out a low groan. " Why do I feel like this is going to be the worst week ever?" I ask.

     " Because it probably will be," Will responds also plopping his head into his hands.

      " You guys look real chipper," says the last person on earth that I want to see right now. Mark comes strolling into the kitchen as if he owns the place. He plants himself in a chair next to me and observes both Will's and my gloomy appearance with what looks like pleasure.

      I just glare at him. Whenever I don't like a person I tend to glare. I'm not the best at making comebacks so I usually just go for the death stare technique. It doesn't work on Mark. He just keeps grinning cheekily at me, chewing away on his mint gum. How do I know it's mint? I can smell it.

      " How's your team? Me and Justin's team is great, their real charmers,"

      Oh wow, I'm so happy for you. Note the sarcasm.

      I look over at Will for help in my time of need, but to my dismay, his shoulders are tensed again. He's playing with his hands too. Two good signs his anxiety is catching up with him again.

      " Our teams okay," that's all I can think to say. What else can I say? Oh, my team is so amazing and I love them all dearly their real charmers. Who even uses the word charmers anymore?

     " Justin's a great guy, we work well together," Mark says.

      " Yep, I was co-counselor with him once, he's amazing with kids," This is true. Justin is a great guy. Fun fact, I've been shipping him and Elisabeth for years now. They even flirt, but nothing further than that. But I keep trying nonetheless.

      We sit there in awkward silence for a bit. Ugh, me and my awkward situations. Then to my utter relief, Lena comes trundling in holding something wrapped in tin foil.

     " What's that?" I ask, gesturing at the package.

      " Zucchini bread." She answers, setting it on the counter, " Want some? My grandma made it."

I practically throw myself at the bread. It sounds odd, but I have a passion for it. I grew up eating it, and it's one of my favorite treats. It's a small relief from my current stressful situation and I'm soaking it up with all my heart.

Authors note

Hi guys!

I have decided to write some fun facts about me since I feel like you readers should get to know your author a bit better.

So first thing, I'm actually a theater kid. I take musical theater and act with a small community theater. I have gone to summer camp before, and a lot of the stuff in this book is based on my experiences.

I fell in love with Will Poulter when I watched The Maze Runner and decided to write a fanfic about him.

I love cats, writing, theater, swimming, and a good cup of matcha.

If you would like to know more fun facts about myself just comment here, and I'll answer them! Though I will not disclose my name or where I live for privacy reasons.

Thank you all so, so much for your support! I love you all! Merry Christmas!

-heavengrace55