Chapter 3- "I'm Not a Mouse, I'm a Cat."

I woke up abruptly to a crash.

     "Shh!" The guy muttered to himself. I peeked out from under the couch, halting in surprise. It was a thief! He was wearing a make shift mask to cover his face, picking up the lamp he had bumped into. I felt a desire to report this, but who would listen to me?

     Maybe I don't have to. I took a huge gulp of air before letting out a blood-curling yowl that echoed through the house. The robber froze immediately before whirling around and darting out the window, slamming it behind him with a slam. I stopped yowling finally, gasping for air. That was too loud I suppose, but I scared him off.

     Footsteps thundered from the stairs, so I quickly ducked under the couch again.

     "What the heck was that?" Adam asked out loud in an irritated and tired voice.

     "Hang on, someone was in here!"

     "Is there anything missing?"

     "No, don't think so..."

      "Does anyone have any idea what that noise was though?" One of the others dropped to his knees, searching for a possible answer. I froze and darted out of view before he looked under the couch.

     "Could have been something like a mouse."

     "A mouse. Of all things, a mouse. Really?" I crept back under to my hiding spot after the he got back up.

     "Can we set mouse traps just to be sure?"

     "Fine, whatever." He broke off with a yawn. "I'm goin' back to sleep." My heart hammered as I lay hidden in the shadows of the couch. Why does life have to be so hard for me?

     I couldn't help but whimper as the guys went back to their sleeping rooms. I've only tried to live, but I can hardly survive! I softly started crying, rocking back and forth on my haunches, leaning against the couch leg. I eventually cried myself to sleep.