Chapter 7 - I know you are, but what am I?

I decided that I'd rather delay my torture, to give me some time to think.

And what I mean by thinking, I mean by bawling my eyes out.

I started sobbing, hugging my knees and rocking back and forth, sniffling as several footsteps made their way to their friend. Truthfully, I was beyond terrified, and I knew what to expect from their cruel human hands.

"What is it, Jason? You look like you just saw a ghost."

"... Something like that." I whimpered and hugged myself harder.

"Hang on, did you hear that?"

"Hear what Ian?"

"I... I don't know exactly, but it sounds like... like someone's crying." I looked up, terrified, as he crouched down, searching for me. Finally, he cleared his throat roughly.

"So, Jason, what's up?" He asked.

"Well, I know you're not gonna believe this, but... We're not searching for a mouse." Curious, I blinked up at him.

"Well, then what are we looking for?" Mitch asked.

"... A human. Or something." Jason muttered.

"WHAT!?" I flinched back at the volume of Adam's voice, whimpering again. Ian tensed, looking down. His eyes met mine, and he widened his eyes. That's when I chose fight or flight modes.

I chose flight.

I tried to run, but I only succeeded in tripping to the floor with a smack! I cried out, limp with pain.

"What-?" I heard Adam try to ask. My vision was blurry, so I closed my eyes. I can't take this much longer, so it'd be easier if they'd just exterminate me. Maybe I can see Wildstar's brother, CloudStrike, tell him how much she misses him. Maybe I'll have angel wings to go with my ears and tail.

I felt someone's fingers wrap around me, gently picking me up and placing me on his hand. I curled my small fragile body, trembling as I put my hands over my eyes. My ears were drooping, and my tail was twitching apprehensively.

"Is that it?" I heard Mitch ask.

"Hang on, that's a girl."

"Did you just figure that out? She's terrified, can't you see that!" I slowly opened my eyes, my gaze darting around the area. I flinched as a finger came to rest on my head. "Hey it's ok. I'm not gonna hurt you." I looked up as Ian pet my head, my trembling subsided. Then I surprised myself by starting to purr, nuzzling his finger. Where the heck did that come from!?