Chapter 6- "Like A Good Neighbor, ..."

So Wildstar and I turned out to have a lot in common. She was suffering what I had suffered, not finding a place to stay permanently, so I asked her if she'd like to stay here, and she said yes.

     It turns out she loves raiding the pantry. Everytime we go food hunting over the past few days, she is very... territorial. She's even told me about some of her past.

     "One time, I was being chased by Borrowers." She started telling me on a raiding. I pulled the bread open, climbing into it.

     "Really? What'd you do to them?" I pulled a small crumb off, nibbling on it happily. This is the most well fed I've been for a while.

     "I can't remember, but it didn't end well for me."

     "Why?"

     "Um, long story short, I fell into someone's sandwich." I looked up in surprise before shaking my head.

     "I don't wanna know what happened next." I muttered.

     "I had a narrow escape." I hopped out, landing with a grunt.

     "We better get going."

     "Why?"

     "Remember those mouse traps?"

     "Yeah?"

     "Well... They're meant for me." Wildstar finished a small piece of bread, glancing up in alarm.

     "What!?"

     "Yeah, I got caught in one, but one of the guys let me go-" I stopped, my ears flicking automatically. "Go! Leave me!" I hissed, dragging Wildstar down to the floor.

     "What why?" She was confuzzled. I shoved her into the shadows of the counter, making sure there were no traps nearby.

     "Someone's coming. Go, I'll meet you under the couch!" I ushered her away while jumping back into the pantry. I hope Wildstar doesn't get caught. I managed my way up the shelves. I had just reached the top when the small doors were swung open. Startled, I lost my grip and almost fell, had not the person reached out and caught me.  Shivering, I looked up. Jason widened his eyes in alarm.

     "Oh my Gawd... Adam!" He called, turning around. I leaped out of his hand, landing on the ground. Pain shot up my leg, making me grunt at the impact. I throttled myself forward to the shadows, hiding under the counter.

     I had around seven seconds before the others got here.