Chapter 24- Somebody Help Me!

"Where... where am I?" Silverstream croaked, propping herself up on her elbows. I quickly scrambled over to her and helped her up. "Thanks." She muttered, swaying a bit.

"I finally found somewhere to live." I murmured, sure of excitement shining in my eyes. "I finally found a home."

" 'ey, well good job!"She complimented, looking around with interest. Then she whirled back to me with wild fear in her eyes. "Wait, I-I-th-there was a-a-" She started sputtering. I shook her by the shoulders to stop her.

"Hey it's ok, it's ok." I tried to assure her. She was shaking.

"I-I almost fell off of this human's window wh-when he caught me a-and the rat a-and he-he didn't seem bad b-but he-he was a human a-and I can't-"

"Calm down!" I finally demanded. "Start over."

"Oh-oh kay...":

"I am sick of this place." I muttered, hauling myself out of the abandoned mouse hole. "I know we're supposed to stay in one place, but I can only eat so many berries." I did a quiet stretch with a slight yawn to welcome the bright sunlight, then grabbed my things before heading off.

The first thing I did was mark the ground every so often with my weapon, a twig, to sharpen it and to keep myself from getting lost. I did that for a very long time (quite a few days actually with some breaks) until my legs finally went numb from walking. I wiped my forehead with the side of my arm, giving in to exhaustion.

I sighed and sat down on a small stone, famished and thirsty. I checked my pockets for the berry juice I had when I realized that it was missing.

"..., must have dropped it when I ran from that grasshopper." I cursed under my breath and facepalmed. Now I'm even more glad I helped that neko, because I now know how she felt... well, just a simple but small taste of her experience. What was her name, Sally? No no no no, Sammy... Samantha, that's what it was. I shivered at a slight cold breeze and realized that the sun was starting to set. "Ugh!" I shouted with frustration. "Is everything against me!?" I stood up when I heard a rustling sound, along with a few squeaking noises. I immediately froze, not blinking. Oh no oh no oh no oh gosh oh no... oh I am so dead. I held my breath and slowly felt my boots for my knives, then remembered that they had been run over by a human car when I was running from a dog. I tilted my head and made out what had spotted me out of the corner of my eye.

The rat chattered excitedly, spotting me as its prey. As soon as it sprang at me, I ran, not even having enough time to grab my twig. The huge undergrowth was a blurr past me as I scrambled through a bush. I gasped in pain as the rat clawed out at me, managing to scratch my back and fling me forward. I was flung under elegantly carved wood before banging my head against metal, not bothering to suppress a cry of fear. What did I do to deserve this?

I scrambled to my feet and bolted away, realizing that I was in a human's place. Wha-how did I-? I swiveled my neck slightly to make out the partially open entrance of the house, also spotting the rat's sharp fangs and malicious eyes. I shivered and ran across a rug, tripping a few times. Then I lost my footing and fell, banging against one of the end table's legs. I groaned, leaning against the smooth wood after I clambered off the floor. Where could I go where the rat couldn't?

I shook with trepidation as my eyes fell upon a square hole in the walls. A window, and with a ledge! It was really narrow but it'd be too thin for the rat, and too high up. I wasted no more time hauling myself up the crevices that were carved into the deep rich colored furniture. I took a deep breath before flinging myself at the ledge, right as I heard the door be shut. I lost my breath from fear as well as impact as I slammed against the white window shelving.

"Great, why are there rats here? I leave my door open for one minute to fetch something from the garage, and an infestation starts!" I backed away as a human in a casual outfit of a grey shirt and black jeans walked in the room, only to hit the bottom of the slightly open window with a tap.

"Ow!" I couldn't help but yelp, my vision going slightly blurry as I clamped my hands over my mouth in fear. But I knew that I was too late as he turned in my direction and widened his eyes.

"Uhh..." Was all he said, staring at me with wide questioning eyes. I heard the rat squeak again, brushing against the human's foot and making him look down in disgust. I whimpered and tried to back up against the glass, realizing just too late that the window was up partially. I screamed as the world tipped for a fleeting moment, then closed my eyes in defeat. I had lived a good life I guess, but it didn't have to end on a sad note!

I was suddenly wrapped in warmth as something caught me, and then the world seemed to stop moving. I whined at the pressure put on my wounds and opened my eyes to find the human's brown and concern-filled ones.

"... Y-you're hurt." He observed quietly before he started walking. I squeezed my eyes shut as I felt motion sickness for a pause in time before his grip on me lessened, then I was put to rest on something soft. I immediately tried to drag myself up to run to safety, only to be gingerly pressed down against the soft textile. I went immobile from the pain, whimpering as I heard the human shuffling around. I didn't bother to open my eyes until I heard something clatter, and my eyes flew open painfully.

"It's ok, it's ok, I just dropped something." The human assured me before picking up the beaker. My breathing grew quicker and ragged as I watched him carefully dab the beaker to clean it, then filled it up with an amber colored liquid. Alarmed, I shifted in the purple fabrics that he had set me down it, only to groan again. Stupid wounds, they were keeping me at a disadvantage and preventing me from running. For all I knew, this guy was about to make me a lab rat!

"This'll sting just a little." I squeezed my eyes shut as the liquids licked at my wounds, gritting my teeth. He was right, it did hurt, but just a little. My breathing slowed as my pain gradually vanished, then I made an effort to open my eyes. The human was cleaning up the equipment he had used, and for a moment I watched him drowsily. Then he glanced at me and gave me a kind and caring grin.

"Feel any better?" He politely asked. I closed and then opened my eyes as my mind frantically worked to keep conscious.

"I feel like I was hit by a pebble." I croaked, swallowing slowly. "Repeatedly." Why was I talking to him!? I wasn't suppose to, but... Well, he did save my life. He didn't seem surprised that I could talk.

He must have dealt with this before.

I tried to sit up, but I was already feeling sore, and sat back with a muffled cry. The human walked out of view for a pause, then came back with something in his hand.

"Here, drink this." He eased two fingers gently behind me and helped me sit up. I flinched at being touched, then went with it as he handed me a small water bottle cap with water. I sniffed it cautiously when he chuckled. "Relax, if I wanted to kill you, I would've let you fall."

"I'm just seeing if it's water." I muttered, then took a sip. It tasted sweet, like honey, too sweet for normal water. I pulled back feeling woozy. I managed another sip, then leaned back against his hand, struggling to stay awake.

"Wha...what did you do to me?" I mumbled, my vision wavering.

"Don't worry, you'll wake up in a little bit, but I need to take you somewhere."

"Wha-where!?" I asked weakly.

"To a friend's. They've dealt with this before as well." He took the cap and set it to the side, still watching me intently. I was shivering, shivering with fear of the unknown. He seemed to understand me, because he added, "Don't worry, they won't hurt you, they're taking care of someone like you too, well, more than one of you I think." I shivered, not wanting to trust him, but he seemed so earnest. I merely closed my eyes with an inward sigh, falling asleep and giving in to numbing darkness under the human's watching gaze.