Chapter 16- Never Alone

I opened my eyes sleepily to face a skull. I screamed as my eyes flew open and I jerked away (banging my arm against the hard floor), breathing heavily. "What the bloody hell!" I shouted, clutching my arm to my chest. There was also potions lying around on the counter, which I realized I was on.

"Hey, are you ok?" I tilted my head to the side to see Seto peering down at me, concern dancing in his eyes.

"G-get away from me!" I yelled, which was almost a sob, as I scooted away from him. He easily stopped me from going too far, by cupping his hand around me, having me back up against the soft warm wall.

"You're hurt." He murmured quietly, gently touching my arm. Bolts of pain shot through it, and I flattened my ears against my head, whimpering.

"Please... d-don't hurt me." I whimpered, my ears flattening further.

"It's ok." He assured me softly, sliding my small arm onto his index finger. He closed his eyes and murmured a few incoherent words. Then my arm stopped throbbing. Mystified, I slowly flexed it. Nothing, no pain. I looked back up at him.

"How-how did you d-do that?" I stammered, my ears slightly peeking up in curiosity. He grinned.

"That's a secret for me to know," He lightly sweeped me onto his hand, placing me in his palm. "... and for you to find out." I sat cross-legged, still intimidated. He carried me to the living room of what I guessed was his house. I spotted something fast move in a shadow. Was that just a mouse? I pondered as Seto sat down on the couch, still cupping his hands to keep me from falling.

"So... what are you?" He asked, staring down at me with curiosity.

"I'm a-a neko..." I avoided his gaze.

"Do you have a home? How do you survive? What do you eat-"

"H-hey! Slow down!" I yelped.

"Sorry..." He said, much more slowly.

"I was living in that house before your friend kidnapped me, I sorta thrive off of humans' diets like Borrowers, and my favorite food is chicken." I shifted my tail from side to side, as it was flicking in apprehension.

"So... you're a neko? What-what is that?" Seto questioned.

"Half cat-half human (or mortal)." I answered, pointing to my soft grey ears.

"Oh." I suddenly felt tired and yawned, leaning back slightly. Seto grinned and leaned forward to the coffee table, grabbing a few strips of cloth and arranging them. Then he set me down on top of them, grabbing a larger strip and pulling it over me.

"You should get some sleep. You look tired and it is still the middle of the night."

"... Fine." I muttered, yawning again and turning over to where my back faced Seto. I sighed quietly and closed my eyes, giving in to sleep's tight grip on me as the world seemed to fade quickly and quietly, fleeing away from consciousness.