Mercy

Announcement: Bella's POV will be displayed in Italics and Rick's POV will be displayed in Bold throughout this entire chapter, for a sliced style of reading

"I have a surprise for you." Negan exclaimed tauntingly.

My brother, Dwight and two other Saviors led me down the dreary hallway towards the locked cells, where he had once kept Merle. The chambers he inflicted the most mental and physical torture on his prisoners.

"You caught someone after yesterday's fight?" I asked, barely containing my fear.

"Not just someone." He grinned.

"Open it up." Dwight ordered the henchmen before us.

As they unlocked the cell and opened the door, my heart dropped into my stomach.

"I knew you'd be surprised."

Sasha was bound by the wrists and ankles, sat up against a wall; and Glenn was barely conscious, laid bloodied and bruised, slumped next to the door.

"Is he alive?" I asked as uncaringly as I possibly could, when really my heart was pounding and my mind was racing.

"Look, I'm not expectin' you not to care about these people- I know they were your own once." Negan said in a less arrogant tone, seeming to care. "He's not dead- I have plans for him. I have plans for Sash over there too. Just gotta wait it out a little longer till they come around."

"If they don't?" I pressed, taking my eyes from Glenn to Sasha and seeing the grief and terror within her.

"Then we'll make sure it's as painless as possible... for you."

Looking up to my big brother, I caught the glimmer in his eyes. He actually believed that he was offering me a kindness. Afraid to look further into his soul, I nodded and turned to walk away, "Thank you."

"Damn it, Carl." I murmured, pacing down the street. It had been eight days since the fight at the Kingdom; eight days since I had seen or heard from Bella. Every correspondence we had received were from Dwight or Gavin.

"Hands up!" My son ordered from the near distance, surrounding an old, abandoned gas station.

Grabbing my gun from its holster, I sprinted down the remaining street.

"Listen, I'm gone. It's cool." The stranger raised his hands towards my son. "I just wanted some- e- even just some- some food."

"Bullshit..." I cursed, pacing between the cars and firing a single shot above his head.

"Dad!"

As the stranger ran off into the sidelines of the woodland, I fired another shot, making sure my warning was clear. "We were supposed to meet at the intersection." I turned to Carl, only to find me staring at me with disgust in his eye. "What- I shot over his head. I just wanted him gone."