No Sanctuary

"Walkers! We've got walkers!"

I yelled, before closing myself and Kai in the room on the very corner of the corridor.

"Is that Jerry?"

"Shit, man."

Through the slight pry in the door, I watched the corpse stumble out of sight before a ray of bullets cascaded through the air.

One walker equals five bullets to them, interesting.

With one glance down to Kai, I lightly tapped his nose and pressed two fingers together, signalling for him to move left. With both men in view, I swung the door open and rammed an upper cut into the back of the nearest Terminus ally. With a groan and a scuffle, he fell weakly to his knees just before I snapped his neck. Looking over to Kai, he had already taken down his target, leaving the tartan clothed man with a large chunk of his neck missing.

"Atta boy." I praised, wiping away the dripping blood from the bottom of his mouth.

I unravelled the straps of the rifles from their arms and flung them over my neck, resting one gun on each side of me.

An almighty rumble exploded from outside, causing the entire building to shake as if an earthquake had hit. For a moment, I feared the ceiling would collapse on top of me. I knelt down against the wall, eyes widened as I steadied myself and waited for what may follow; but that was it, just one explosion. I swallowed the lump in my throat, wondering what could have created it but those thoughts soon got shot to the back of my mind when I heard raised voices coming from the other end of the passage.

"Tell me what's happening!" Gareth shouted down his walkie talkie, running past the opening and towards the front of the building. "I need eyes stat..."

"Follow." I whispered to Kai, running along the wall and following down the passage Gareth had emerged from.

I came to smaller room that acted as a crossroads, with three different directions to choose from.

More gunfire began to sound from outside, leaving me to wonder what had happened to my family.

"You there, Gareth?" An unknown voice sounded from one of the directions.

Kai and I followed that voice, and soon came to another set of double doors.

"He's busy."

I peered around the wall; eyes transfixed over the large space before us.

"You smell the smoke? You hear the shots? He could be dead."

That's when my eyes landed on two silver sinks, usually used for feeding cattle, but instead, they were being used to drain blood. At one end, three bodies were slouched over the containers, blood cascading from their slit necks, but the further I travelled up the row, the more hope and fear I managed to conjure in equal measure.