Do Not Send Us Astray

Dwight couldn't get ahead

Dwight couldn't get ahead. Like most burdens lately, my brother was the cause of them. Negan wanted us to ride separately from the others in a classic Dodge, if I were up to it, which meant Simon had a spare seat and Dwight was automatically chosen for the spot. To avoid suspicion, we had little option other than to oblige.

"You need to back out at any given point, you jus' go. I don't want you around any of this if it's too much to handle." Negan exclaimed in a rough voice, showing his seriousness and concern.

Meanwhile, all I could think about was how to warn Maggie and Glenn before we got there.

"I wouldn't be here if it was too much to handle," I murmured, irritation sinking into my nerves at my own lack of ability to conjure up a single plan. My mind was wildly racing, yet blank. How grief messes with you.

We hadn't long been on the road before we made it to one of the towns that acted as a crossing point to get to the Hilltop. The several trucks in front led the way, while we trailed slightly behind. The reason for that I was uncertain of. I hadn't spent much time passing through here, but every time I had I was always focused on planning what was to come. This time, my mind wouldn't allow me to, so I searched around me. Looking for an answer amongst boarded up buildings, walkers and unsettling near silences was not a hopeful route.

Screeching tires scorched the road as a vehicle plowed into the rear of the car.

"Ar- fuckin' stick up my ass—"

My brother groaned as he swerved the car down a different avenue to the one the rest of our convoy was following along.

"The hell was that?" Arat questioned through the walkie.

Just as I was about to grab the radio, my eyes darted to the windscreen mirror as the car hit into a stack of metal drums before we found ground on the main road. I squinted, trying to catch sight of the driver.

"Fuckin' damn it!" Negan cursed.

"Keep going- I'll handle them." I stated, pulling down the window and beginning to angle myself to perch onto the door.

"No!" Negan pulled me back. "It's too dangerous—"

Losing control of the vehicle, I shunted into my brother as the Dodge flipped onto its side and the metal scrapped across the ground. I moaned out in discomfort, surprisingly not pain, as my eyes flickered open. Smoke alerted my senses and I instantly pushed myself up, feeling broken glass pierce the skin on my palms as I did so.

"Negan?" I breathed heavily, concern filling me as my brother laid unconscious. "No- no, Negan!" Pressing my fingers over his wrist, I felt for a pulse whilst pulling him up by the collar of his shirt. He was breathing and his pulse was strong, to my own relief. He can't die, not yet. If he gets killed before we get the chance the end the Saviors for good, Simon will just take over and that will seal us a much worse fate. "Come on brother, wake up."