The Big Scary U

This was never supposed to be a part of the plan

This was never supposed to be a part of the plan... me coming to care for the people that were apart of how we lost our family. Hershel would ask me how I could expect anything else when it's who I am, but the truth is I'm not the same person he once knew. He died, with Abraham and Tyreese, and a part of me died with them. The pieces that are left, some I can barely recognise. Maybe the Governor was right, the darkness is where I always belonged.

"Ana-" Joey's tone raised slightly as I looked up to him, finding myself becoming grounded from my deep thoughts. "-you okay?"

"I'm fine- sorry. Thank you for this." I handed him back the keys like we agreed.

"Did they get out okay—"

Before I could contemplate his question, Gavin entered abruptly.

"Oh- I was just checking—"

"Joey, it's fine. Gavin's with us." I reassured.

"Oh, right- good, that's real good." Joey stuttered slightly, attempting to compose himself and making his way to the door. "If you find yourself needin' an alibi, just say you were with me."

"Thank you." I forced a smile, fully appreciating his offer.

Once he had left and the door was shut, I met Gavin's eyes and immediately sensed his despair.

"What happened?" The words escaped my lips, knowing something must have gone wrong.

He sighed, "You should sit down—"

"No- tell me." I pressed, just needing to know.

"I'm- I'm sorry- I-" He sighed again, trying to find the words as he placed his hands on his hips. "There was an altercation, Sasha didn't make it. I'm sorry, Ana."

Sasha didn't make it, "No- she- she can't be d-" I stopped myself from saying the word, feeling my insides begin to knot. "Argh- fuck!"

"Hey- hey—"

"No!" I whisper shouted, feeling the last thing I needed was sympathy or a logical reason for what happened. "Do you have any idea how many people I've had to bury because of my own brother." I shook my head and perched myself on the edge of the bed. "Now he's dead- or at least he probably is, and he is still the reason I'm losing people. It doesn't end until the Saviors, and everything they stand for, do."

"You're right,-" Gavin crouched down in front of me and placed a hand on my knee. "-and you know who's gonna get us there, you." He said with such conviction as his eyes showed the emotion I had wanted to let myself feel since being here. "I ain't gonna give you some bullshit reason or tell you how shit happens 'cause you already know- you've learnt the hard way, harder than most. But I am gonna tell you that this ain't forever- there is a better future waitin' and you are gonna get us there."

I let my forehead fall to his shoulder, longing to just feel the emotional connection I needed; someone I could show myself to without fear or the mask hanging in the background. I just needed to breathe.