Worth

I had been driving for a couple of hours before I reached the Junkyard to retrieve my brother

I had been driving for a couple of hours before I reached the Junkyard to retrieve my brother. The only resources I had obtained, to avoid suspicion of anything else since I could have gotten much more, was a truck, a hand gun with five bullets to show for it and a radio.

When I got there, I found my brother tied to a plank of sandalwood with wheels underneath. And Jadis was sat beside him, waiting.

"Jadis," I reached out, earning her attention as she raised Lucille towards me.

"Ana?" My brother said softly, struggling beneath the restraints.

"Jadis, please. Just hear me out- just for a minute." I pleaded.

To begin with she looked like that minute would never be given, but with some thought, she changed her mind. The anger and pain on her face lessened and she lowered my bothers bat slightly, balancing her stance on both feet.

"I know what he did- what Simon did to you and your people. It was callous and cruel, and they did not deserve it. They deserved better- you deserve better. I am so sorry for what he took." And I meant every word, because deep down my heart ached for her. She was the only one left. "I know you're in pain. Nothing and nobody could ever change that right now, but I need Negan. I need my brother because without him, Simon will do what he did to you, to every other community out there. He will slaughter good people, and all just to get a kick out of it. Negan can make sure that never happens, but only Negan can." Steadily, I took the big duffel bag off my shoulder and placed it on the ground before taking a few steps back. "I have a gift for you. It may not be much, but I thought it might be of some comfort right now."

Warily she moved towards the bag and after checking it over with her eyes alone, she knelt down to open it. Once she saw its contents, her entire demeanour changed.

"How did you know?" She asked in her monotone voice.

"I just notice things about people." I pursed my lips together, drawing them into a short smile and finally seeing something thoughtful spark in her.

She didn't feel as alone anymore.

Of course, my brother had questions.

Questions I had been planning my answers for majority of the drive to him.

He didn't suspect anything because I didn't let him.

The whole time my heart felt as though it was imploding on itself, little tiny cracks shooting through its layers, desperate to shatter into fragments of dust to be blown away by the consuming air. It hurt.

I knew Rick was grieving, but what he did was calculated and heartless. There are moments when we have to kill, when we have no choice. There are also moments when killing is the easier choice, never easy, but just easier. When it eliminates risk. In his moment, killing was just about fulfilling himself when I warned him of what could happen.