Wrath - Part Two

Every breath was heavier than the last

Every breath was heavier than the last. Her chest tightening with every step. Her mind pulsating to match the rhythm of her heart. The loud noise from generators, built up crowds and chaos from loading trucks were all drowned out by the ever overpowering voices of the past. Bella entered the main hall with Gavin by her side; she caught the eyes of the people as they rallied around each other. Open speeches became quiet whispers as her long black jacket trailed behind her strong frame. She was a figurehead, more than she realised, and for the right reasons. The two, who had become quite close friends, made their way towards Negan as Bella honed in on his voice as he spoke with Eugene.

"A firing line that would minimise chaos opportunity and alpha-to-omega this thing in less than ten..."

Good, she thought silently. Feeling relief that Eugene had managed to set the plan into motion for her.

"Are you sure that's somethin' you wanna see?" Negan questioned intensely, but deep down only felt pride for what he believed to be a fully converted former Alexandrian. To him, Eugene was proof that anything was possible. Eugene had shown that the ability to change and adapt was not unachievable, even with murder and grief added to the mix.

"More of a need to thing." Eugene responded, only adding to Negan's delight.

As Bella and Gavin approached, Negan automatically reached for his sister and tugged at her shoulder. "I am so fuckin' full of pride right now... to have you by my side. I know it ain't gonna be easy, but it means a lot. I hope you know that." Having his sister by his side, seemingly open at supporting him, fed his ego further than anything ever had. Leaving him blinded by sentiment.

Bella forced a short smile up to her brother, failing to find the words to lie with. "We can ride ahead, get a layout of the scene. If anything happens, we'll radio in." Gavin suggested to Negan, who was prematurely celebrating his potential victory with such certainty, having sensed Bella's unease and vulnerability.

"Sounds good," Negan agreed with a grin, redirecting his attention to a group of four Saviors who were waiting for their instructions. "Lance, Duke- Boylan Road. Map will show you where I'll be if there's trouble."

"We got this one locked down, Jefe." One of them replied as they took the map, feeling confident in serving his leader.

"Damn straight you do." Negan lied, turning his back to them as they walked away and looked across to his sister.

"You set the bait?" She asked, hiding her disgust deep beneath the surface.

"Oh yes, I fuckin' have." Negan said hauntingly, showing he had no care over the fact that he had just set up his own to the slaughter house.

Bella and Gavin drove ahead while Negan took Laura and Eugene, along with Gabriel as a means to confess some sins. Dwight was being taken in a separate truck with a band of Saviors, and multiple trucks travelled behind them that also carried Elijah and many of his people. Those who knew of Bella's plan were waiting in trepidation, while everyone else was content in believing that they had the upper hand and would win the war.