Resurfaced

Around four months had passed since we returned home

Upon my return, and after being greeted by the tens and probably nearing the hundred by the end of the first day, I shared my story of meeting Morgan and Dwight in Texas, and their tales of what they had endured and where they were set to go next. The group were both bewildered and spellbound at the story; I entered Texas's radiation zone from nuclear bombing, met a stir crazy man called Strand set on killing an old friend, reunited with Dwight, then the old friend, Morgan, and engaged in a brutal war, all of which concluded with almost everyone escaping together, all except Alicia. I wonder how she is, I thought silently. A smile soon followed, knowing only too well that would be okay. She was alone, but so was I, and, from experience, it can do you good and it equally never seems to last for very long either.

I am back at the Sanctuary. Although, I do travel between the communities fairly frequently. I wanted to fulfil my promise to Deanna, who seemed slightly weaker but still very much with us, and help run Alexandria alongside Shane and Michonne. Back at the Sanctuary, Ezra, Eugene, and the construction group had been working on the new wall, connected to ours, for Elijah's extension to shelter him and his people in their new home, as well as splitting their time on finishing the bridge. Yes, that bridge. The bridge my husband sacrificed his life upon; I promised him we would rebuild it, and I have kept that promise. The last promise I would ever make to my love.

My eyes trailed over the community before me, the people below wandering the yard space with smiles upon their faces and hands being held, all while I stood upon the rooftop with the sun beginning to set.

"Ever consider gettin' a new hiddin' place?" Daryl's voice called out.

A smile rose into my cheeks, "You're the only person who bothers to look for me up here."

The man who had become my best friend across these past years closed the distance and stood by my side, as he always had done. Since I returned, he seemed to be keeping a closer eye on me than before. I understood why; I think a lot of our family expected me to crumble, but I didn't and I won't. I have my children to live for, our family, and what is left of humanity to protect and restore. I live for him and his memory.

"Maggie an Glenn were wonderin' if you'd go over tomorrow? They wanna talk 'bout somethin'." Daryl explained.

I smoothed my hand over my, rather large, belly. Seven months into a pregnancy... oh, how I had forgotten the joys that came with it. "Can we use the bike? I don't think my back will take the horse at the moment."

"Sure."

A moment of near silence crept by. Although moments like that were never awkward for either of us, I could tell when Daryl was on edge with his words. "I've known you long enough to recognise when you're leaving words unsaid. Come on— out with it."

"I heard y'all have another meetin' tonight."

I hummed in confirmation.

"How's that goin'?"