Chapter 18

C h a p t e r  1 8

T h i r d  P e r s o n

"I'm in love with her," Jisoo stated a little firmer than she intended it to be.

Hearing those remarks made the blonde's mouth dry, and it was breaking her. How can her best friend be so naïve? How could her dearest friend be so blind to her feelings throughout the years?

What does she see in Lisa?

"R-really?" Rosé stutters, her eyes blinked slowly taking it all in.

"Are you mad?" Jisoo asked hugging her best friend closer to her, "I can hear your heart," Jisoo sighed.

Rosé unconsciously pulled Jisoo closed to her chest closer, "I'm not mad, but I'm worried."

"Of what?"

"Of you," Rosé said, pausing for a second before shaking her head. "Does she know?" Rosé sensed the latter's muscles tensed.

"She doesn't need to know,"

"Right, "Rosé muttered something and then became silent for a moment. The blonde was in deep thought, her eyes focused on Jisoo's breathing and matching her. Until it dawned on her.

"I thought you guys are still pretending?" Rosé breaks out the silence.

"Oh..."

"What do you mean 'oh'?" Rosé said, her brow wrinkled as she looked down at Jisoo. The blonde raised Jisoo's chin and pierced their gaze together while the latter remained quiet. "Are you keeping secrets from me?" Jisoo averted her gaze.

"We kissed," Jisoo said, her cheeks heated and knowing her friend would be upset at her.

"I know," Rosé acknowledged, "everyone knows, this is the first time you've seen each other."

"No, that's not it."

"What do you mean that's not it?" The blonde asked. Her voice was becoming more assertive, and she could see where this was headed. "Was this part of the plan? Is Jennie passing by when it happened?"

Jisoo looks at Rosé and shakes her head no. The blonde's mouth tightening into a hard line.

"I don't like her for you," Rosé uttered with bitter resentment, "she used you to get back at her ex, and now she's using you for what?" Her tone was tinged with venom.

"It's not like that," Jisoo replied, obviously agitating the latter.

"You're defending her," Rosé said as she released Jisoo's grip. "Did you forget that you're playing a game? Kissing without Jennie is a bad idea."

There was an awkward silence, and even a butcher knife couldn't cut through the dense air of tension. Rosé sat up, watching her friend close her eyes and concentrate on her breathing.

"I never felt like this, you know?" Jisoo sighed, "I feel like every time I'm with her I forget about this weak heart and that I'm dying soon." She opened her eyes and glanced at Rosé and sat up with her, facing her friend.

"You're not going to die—"

"We all are," Jisoo interrupted, "it's just that I'm learning to love myself too, even though that my life is already destined. It's my first time to ever feel free. One time I even said that mom and dad didn't take as much as photos of me when I was a kid, now she's even making an album for me, it's a surprise birthday gift."

She feels free when she's with her.

Rosé's eyebrows lift at her statement, "how come you know the surprise?"

"She's very bad at hiding things," Jisoo chuckled, "Then some bullies hurt me—"

"What?!"

"Yeah, she saw me and took me to her house," Jisoo smiled, "then she opened up a little bit, she only has Jennie but she left."

"But she didn't come in the hospital," Rosé said. "You were doing so well with handling it, then after Lisa came this shit happen."

"I know mom didn't let Lisa know," Jisoo contemplated a bit and took a deep breath. "I beg her not to let Lisa know, she even came by our house multiple times. With flowers and milk."

The blonde nodded.

Maybe Lisa does care.

"Is there another failure in your heart? What was the reason this time?" Rosé changed the subject, her eyes are troubled. The blonde did forget to ask why her best friend is inside the hospital that day.

Rosé was there, she witnessed everything at a young age. She saw how Jisoo went pale and how tubes were going in and out of her chest and mouth. Jisoo was so little and frail that she sobbed every night, begging God not to let her lose her best friend and to help her heal.

When she saw Jisoo become bubbly and happy from time to time, she knew her prayers had worked, but it wasn't until they were in middle school when they were just laughing at each other's antics, that Jisoo's breath caught in her throat, the color from her face drained, and she collapsed on the floor. That's when she realized her condition was permanent.

She was there and she swore to take care of her, whatever it takes and now she's still not ready to confess her love for her.

"We kissed that day, we almost you know..."

Rosé furrowed her eyebrows, "it's not forced right?"

"Of course not!" Jisoo shook her head and held Rosé's hand, she bit the inside of her cheeks and looked down on their interlaced fingers, "I'm the one who initiated it."

"What?"

"I liked it, I do, but she..."

"She what?"

"She moaned Jennie's name."

Rosé sat upright and went silent, "is that the reason why you're in the hospital?" Her voice quivering from anger. "That fucking bastard!" Rosé's Australian accent is making Jisoo more scared of her, she has seen Rosé angry before and she never wanted to see it again.

Jisoo just stayed silent, she knows her best friend is right.

"You should stop this pretending shit," The blonde stated rage was visible in her eyes, "you should tell, Lisa."

The door slammed opened, causing the older one to flinch and her eyes widened. The blonde on the other hand just studied the latter with unforgiving judgment.

"Tell me what?"