Chapter 50

The sirens blared across the nearly empty streets of Seoul with ambulances carrying Wheein who is accompanied by Yonghwa and Moonbyul is accompanied by Solar. Solar cried throughout the ride, holding Moonbyul's hands tightly to her face while she prayed for her safety.

As soon as the car came to a complete stop, only a measly number of doctors and nurses dash forward and transferred them to a wheeled stretcher. The medic proceeded to brief their medical condition and history.

"Shit... This doesn't look good at all." A doctor commented after taking a glimpse of Moonbyul, "Send her for an X-Ray and transfuse more blood to her. What about the other one?"

"Doc, the other have minor bruises and injuries, we can manage this."

After a while, a nurse came running with papers and X-Ray files in a panic tone, "Doc, take a look at this."

"Who would be so cruel to a young girl... Prep the OR and page any trauma surgeon, stat!"

"Doc..."

"What now?!"

"There isn't any trauma surgeon available right now... An accident happened few minutes ago, before Ms. Jung and Ms. Moon were sent to our hospital."

Solar approached the doctor slowly with tears dripping one by one touching the floor and eventually flop down to kneel before him. The doctor was surprised at her actions and held her arms up, urging her to stand, "P-Please don't do this, Agasshi. Please get up."

"Doc... Please save Moonbyul, please... I'm begging you. She means the world to me. I'd do anything, I'd pay for everything, just save her, please... please..." she begged, "Can't you do it instead, doc?"

"I'm sorry, Agasshi. I'm a Cardiothoracic surgeon, Ms. Moon has severe kidney damage and several internal wounds, only trauma or general surgeon can do it." The doctor replied, but Solar persisted to beg and even holding the doctor's hand pleading him desperately.

The doctor felt guilty yet helpless, not to mention the additional weight of burden was added when a middle-aged woman appeared and knelt next to Solar, clinging on to his other arm, "Please, doctor... Save my daughter... I'm begging you."

"Ahh... M-Mrs. Moon, and... Agasshi. Please don't do this, I can't help you, I'm really sorry." The doctor bowed profusely and left in a hurry.

At this time, Wheein finally came around and Yonghwa immediately helped her up, "Superintendent Jung... You are severely injured, please rest." Wheein waved her hands to show she's okay and pointed to her phone. He handed to her, and she dialled a number.

She was then pushed on a wheelchair with the help of Yonghwa towards Mrs. Moon and Solar. She pats on Solar's shoulder to assure her, "Eonni, I'm sorry. I should've done a better job... But I've called my family, they will assign a doctor to Moonbyul soon. Please be patient and stay strong for her, eonni."

"Wheein-ah... Moonbyul is... save her... please, somebody, anyone." Solar bawled her eyes out while hugging Wheein tightly. The latter could do nothing except stroking her back to calm her down knowing nothing would stop those tears except for Moonbyul.

The door flung open and Wheein was about to get up to greet the person but the man in white lab coat tapped her shoulder down, "Rest, you're reckless as always."

"Kyung-Ho oppa, I'm okay. Please save Moonbyul." Wheein sat back down but her hands holding his tightly, looking at him with her puppy eyes. He smiled and booped her nose, "of course, that goes without saying Wheepup. Whenever you call, we come running for you, that's for sure. I even brought two of my best trauma surgeons with me – Dr. Park Shi-On and Dr. Lee Jong-Suk." Both doctors who stood behind him bowed at Wheein.

Dr. Lee walked over to help Solar up, patting dusts off her knees and directed her to a bench to sit. His smile when he left somehow gives her a feeling of assurance that everything will be okay. Meanwhile, Dr. Park helped Mrs. Moon to the bench next to Solar, but she can't keep her eyes off him. Before he leaves, Mrs. Moon held Dr. Park's hand and asked, "Joo-Won?... Son, Is that you?"

"I'm sorry, you must have got the wrong person. I am Dr. Park Shi-On." He bowed.

"Oh... No, I'm the one who should be sorry. You look just like my son who gave his life to protect the country."

"I'm sorry to hear that. But your son seems like a remarkable man."

"Please save my daughter... Dr. Park."

"We'll try our best."

The three doctors removed their lab coats and changed their attire to scrubs, while more nurses came and wheeled Moonbyul towards the OR. The signage light display above the door switched on, indicating the operation has started.

Sitting on the bench side by side, Solar facing the operating room while Mrs. Moon facing the hallway. Wheein who witnessed this attempted to break the ice, "You both... Look alike."

Solar looked at Wheein wide-eyed, "W-W-What are you saying, Wheein-ah. Are you badly injured? Did you hurt your head? H-How is it possible we look alike? Mrs. Moon is very elegant woman."

"Y-Yeah, Superintendent Jung. You sure do know how to joke. How can an ahjumma like me be compared to a young lady like Professor Solar. Ahahaha..."

Wheein shook her head and looked determined, "No, you both really look alike – when you beg the doctor to save Moonbyul."

"O...Ohh..." They said at the same time. Now taking a quick glance at each other but immediately look away as soon as their eyes met. Wheein and Yonghwa faced other direction, covering their laugh with their fist, making both Mrs. Moon and Solar feeling even more awkward.

A nurse walked over towards their direction and bowed, "Superintendent Jung, please follow me. We have prepared a room for you to rest for the night."

"I'll rest later, where is Ahn Hyejin? She goes by the name Hwasa, the younger sister of the suspect Ahn Bo-Hyun." Yonghwa bend forward, covering his part of mouth to whisper Wheein, briefing her of all the details that concluded. She nodded and looked to the awkward pair, "Mrs. Moon, Solar eonni, I have to see Hwasa. Eonni, do let me know once Moonbyul is out of the operating room."

Solar nodded but then realised that she'll be left all alone with her scary looking future mother-in-law, she immediately stood up and spoke softly, "W-Wheeinah... I-I'm worried about Hwasa too, she's my student after all."

But Wheein shook her head and replied, "Sorry, eonni. There is something personal I have to sort out with Hwasa. After all, I killed her brother." Solar saw her solemn look and finally nod. Wheein then wave her hands downward and Solar bent her knees a little as she whispered, "take this chance to spend some time with your mother-in-law, eonni hwaiting!'

She giggled at Solar's flushed face and Yonghwa pushed her wheelchair away after bowing to both Mrs. Moon and Solar.

.

.

.

(End of Chapter 50)

A/N: Don't forget to leave a comment below if you wish to participate in the giveaway event. If you are shy, you're welcome to leave me a DM. <3

P.S. Next update on 21st October (Thursday)