Chapter 51

(In this chapter, I'll refer Moonbyul's mom as Hee-Kyung and Hwasa's mom as Young-Hee. In Korea, moms are normally addressed after the student's name e.g. Moonbyul's Mom {Moonbyul eomeonim}) ^^ Enjoy~ <3

Solar was feeling antsy, pacing back and forth along the corridor of the waiting room outside the OR. After moments passed, Hee-Kyung grew increasingly annoyed, "Professor Solar, please stop moving around you're making me dizzy."

"O-Oh! I-I'm sorry." She bowed profusely.

"Have a seat, promise I won't bite." Solar felt hesitant at first still not moving from where she stood. Hee-Kyung sighed and continued, "I won't slap you either."

"Y-Yes..." She bowed again. Hee-Kyung pats the seat next to hers which Solar took tiny steps to approach her and reluctantly sat. They kept absolute silence for a minute or two that passed. Mustering up some courage, Solar asked, "Um... Mrs. Moon, do you want to drink something? Should I go to the hospital cafeteria and get you a drink? Or do you want-"

"I'm sorry." Was all Hee-Kyung could reply while she sniffed and turning away from Solar to hide her tears, "I'm really sorry."

"Mrs. Moon, why..."

"Ever since I lost my husband, then my son, things are tough for me as a single mom. Everything that I inherited from my husband, nobody would recognise my hard work. In their eyes, I will only be Mrs. Moon, someone who have things easy for inheriting the Luna Enterprise, nobody would acknowledge Hee-Kyung, the woman who managed to keep the business going."

Solar took a pack of tissue out from her pocket and handed it to her. She took it to wipe her tears and blowed her nose before she finally turns to Solar, "But can you blame me? I live in a society where only men's work are recognised. That's when I decided, Moonbyul must marry into a powerful family, where she can be respected in the Luna Enterprise."

Solar looked down, though she was unable to face Hee-Kyung, she still poured her hearts out, "I don't think I deserve her either, for all that she had done risking her life for mine." Hee-Kyung put the tissue down, giving her full attention Solar, "not to mention my parents aren't from any powerful family either."

"... I don't blame you for everything that happened, every parent wants the best for their child. My family don't have much, but we are living comfortably and most importantly, we're happy. I may not understand what you are going through but aren't you doing all these for her happiness?" Solar then looked at Hee-Kyung in the eyes reaching out her hand to hold, "I, too, want Moonbyul to be happy. Won't you give me a chance, to share and let her embrace this happiness? Won't you, give us a chance to show you we can still be happy regardless of the status?"

Hee-Kyung went speechless, but she resumed her sobbing. They were soon interrupted by another middle-aged lady who bend down a little and asked, "Moonbyul eomeonim?" her sobbing stopped and looked up to greet, "O-Oh, Hwasa eomeonim..."

"Ahh... You must be Professor Solar. Hello, I am Hwasa's mom. Nice to meet you." She bowed. Solar got up from the seat and returned the greeting. "Omo! Look where my mind is at, I wanted to bring coffee and I just past the cafeteria without it! Silly me... Um... Professor Solar?"

"Y-Yes, Hwasa eomeonim?"

"Do you mind getting me a coffee from the cafeteria? Aigoo, my legs are weak lately running about and you know your life would never be peaceful when you have one lioness of a child." She giggled then winked to Solar, "...if its not too much to ask... please?"

Solar immediately understood that she wants them to be left alone to talk, "Yes, of course. Gladly."

"Aigoo... Thank you so much Professor Solar. Mmm! Young lady like Professor Solar these days is a rare find. Not only she's young, but she's also helpful, kind, cari-"

"Enough flattery she's long gone." Hee-Kyung said staring at her, "Ya, Na Young-Hee! I know you've been eavesdropping, what are you trying to say?"

"Ehehehe... I got caught, huh. Oopsie!" Young-Hee knocked her own head playfully, after which she let out a bitter smile sighing, "But you know, sometimes its better to live better off without men."

She took a seat and fiddle her fingers anxiously as she recalled the past, "I used to think the same, every family needs a man of the house. Despite how my ex-husband abused me in the past, I've always endured it. People often told me 'You're too old to re-marry', 'respect your husband', 'that's how married life is'. But you do realise one day, that enough is enough... Don't you remember? You were there when it happened."

Hee-Kyung simply nodded, "I remember, the day I went to deliver the flowers you asked for the memorial of your in-laws."

"Those flowers could've been for me, my funeral, if you weren't there to rescue me."

"But of course, I wouldn't find any man to marry my precious daughter off-"

"Can you guarantee her happiness? Can you be 100% sure of it?... Do you think Moonbyul will thank you for the luxurious life you promised her, or will she resent you for giving up the one and only happiness that money couldn't buy?" Hee-Kyung looked away, unable to answer to those questions. Deep in her heart she knows the truth but wasn't ready to face it.

Young-Hee gently pat on Hee-Kyung shoulder and advised, "Moonbyul eomeonim. If there is one thing I learn from my broken marriage, is that we think too much for our children's happiness that it does the opposite effect on them. Let them pursue their happiness, as a parent we could only wish they are healthy, happily living their life."

"You're right... I've been too focused on myself. But Hwasa eomeonim... You don't seem to be surprised or feel strange about same sex relationship, why..."

"Times are changing, it's time to open our minds, only then our children will open their hearts to us as well. Why build a wall between parent and child? Besides, my precious little lioness has taken a liking to a cute kitten."

"Who?"

"Superintendent Jung." Young-Hee smiled, wiggling her eyebrow while Hee-Kyung covered her gaping mouth in disbelief. She proceeds to whisper, "I saw them together earlier... They look so cute!!!" she giggled.

Solar arrived right at the same moment when Dr. Jung pushed the door open, removing his surgical glove and mask, "any relative of Ms. Moon present?"

"I'm her mom." Hee-Kyung sprung up from her seat followed by Solar and Young-Hee behind her, "Doctor, is my daughter all right? Is she going to be okay? Can we see her now?"

"Ms. Moon is incredibly lucky that the attacker had missed many vital organs, but she still lost a massive amount of blood, not to mention both her kidneys are severely damaged...Which brings us to the main point – we need a transplant, ASAP."

"Please take mine, doctor. I'm her mom, I'm sure I'll be a match."

"Okay, follow me. We'll be running a few tests to see if you're a match." Hee-Kyung followed Dr. Jung while Solar paced back and forth nervously waiting for their return. Young-Hee rubbed Solar's shoulder to assure her everything is going to be all right. Few moments passed and they returned with a solemn look, an obvious expression that explains they weren't a match.

Hee-Kyung fell weak on her knees and bawled her eyes out, "Moonbyulah... This is all mom's fault. You don't deserve to get hurt because of me, aigooya..." she beat her chest blaming herself while Solar waste no time, "Doctor, please. Run some test for me, who knows we're a match."

"I'll get Hwasa and my future daughter-in-law!" Young-Hee said while dashing away like an Olympic sprinter, completely contradicted her weak legs. 

.

.

.

(End of Chapter 51)

A/N: Don't forget to leave a comment below if you wish to participate in the giveaway event. If you are shy, you're welcome to leave me a DM. <3

The giveaway event will start from 4th - 11th November. Just answer a short survey about this story and stand a chance to win Mamamoo Albums (CD+Photobook only).