Chapter 52

Dr. Jung peeks through the test results, scanning the audience before him from left to right. "Ah, oppa! Hurry up and tell us!" Wheein yelled which made him startled, almost dropping the report, "Aish... Be patient, will ya? There's a lot of unfamiliar faces here I'm trying to see who is who."

"I'm sorry, but... None of you are a match..." Wheein, Hwasa and her mom along with Hee-Kyung and Solar puts their head down in disappointment, but the cheeky doctor grinned, "...except for Ms. Kim here." He points at Solar after finally matching the profile with her face.

"a match indeed... match made in heaven." Young-Hee whispered while nudging Hee-Kyung with her elbow, but the latter shushed her. Everyone rejoiced at the good news even Wheein yanked his ears, a pain that causes him to wince in pain, "Aish... Why don't you say that first! You enjoy cardiac exercise huh?"

"W-Wait, there's a r-" he struggled to explain in amidst the celebratory vibes around him.

Hee-Kyung shook his hands while bowing, Solar went to hug Wheein feeling relieved. Dr. Jung grew impatient and finally lost it, "she might die!" Everyone paused their celebrations and finally gave him full attention, "Ms. Kim, and even Ms. Moon might die. Even so, will you still proceed?" he looked at Solar intently but was surprised when he saw her smile instead.

She walked to him and fully bowed, "Thank you doctor. It's all I wanted to hear. 'A match'. I don't care what it takes, as long as there's a chance, I will take it."

"Eonni... Please don't be rash. We're talking about life and death here." Wheein held Solar's hand tightly, hoping the latter would rethink this carefully but she seems determined, patting her hands to assure her, "Wheeinah... Thank you, you've always looked out for us. But I want to do this, please."

Wheein stood in front of Dr. Jung demanding, "Oppa, there should be another way. Isn't SNU Hospital the best? Shouldn't we have at least one organ transplant available-"

"Ya, Jung Wheein do you think this is a black market? Do you think we have many dead bodies lying around with fresh organs to harvest? You're not speaking in the right mind!" Dr. Jung sighed then bowed apologetically, "I'm sorry, Wheepup. I shouldn't have raised my voice. As much as I want to save Ms. Moon with zero risk, there is no other choice."

"Ms. Kim, there is a possibility that Ms. Moon's body will reject the transplant, putting both of your lives in danger." Dr. Jung further explained, "even so, do you still-"

"Doctor, time is ticking. Please proceed with the surgery, you have my full consent." Solar's tone was firm with no hesitation, Wheein understood this is how she is when she has made up her mind, "Regardless of the risk, I'm prepared. Please, doctor. Let me save her."

"Why..." Hee-Kyung slumped, "Did you do this because you want my approval? You don't have to do it, I understand it all now. You don't have to prove to me anything, Professor Solar. I can't live another day knowing a girl died because of my daughter, I've done my wrong with Lee Da Hee. I won't be able to face Moonbyul, she'll never forgive me!"

"And I can't live another day knowing that I may have a chance to save her, but I didn't." Solar answered then proceeds to kneel before her, "Mrs. Moon. Please, let me save her. I beg you."

"Thank you, Professor Solar... And I'm sorry... For everything..." Hee-Kyung knelt as well, and they embraced each other with tears flowing down.

Without anymore second wasted, Solar was immediately dressed in a patient's gown laying on her back. She watched Wheein, Hwasa, Hee-Kyung and Young-Hee as she was wheeled towards the OR.

Feeling nervous as this is the first time, she has ever entered the OR, Dr. Lee gave her another assuring smile of his while briefly explaining to her the procedures. She listened intently and they put her on an anaesthetic mask asking her to count from 10...

'Moonbyul... Please be safe...'

6...

'Let's fight this together... Let's live happily...'

1...

'As a married couple...'

"Status?" Dr. Jung checked with Dr. Park.

"She's knocked out." He confirmed.

"Time is 1:11AM, we're now starting the kidney transplant of Ms. Kim to Ms. Moon..."

.

.

.

"---Byul."

"---nByul."

The distance voice grew closer and clearer every time I hear it. Who are you? Where am I? That voice sounds familiar...

"---Byulie... Wake..."

"Moonbyulah... Wake up."

Springing her upper abdomen up, Moonbyul took a huge breath and looked around her. 'Where am I?... This place looks familiar.' She got off the bed and navigated around, then the sound of chopping sounds, smell of seaweed soup filling the air drew her attention towards the kitchen where she saw a lady's back. Not just any lady, she tried to recall but couldn't.

"Byulie... Are you awake?" She finally turned and smiled before returning her back to continue her cooking but keeping the conversation going, "Go brush your teeth. Breakfast is almost ready."

"Da Hee... Eonni...?"

She turned to look at Moonbyul again, "What's wrong with you, did we do it too hard last night that it knocked you out senseless?" she giggled.

.

.

.

"Clear!" Dr. Jung yelled out, then watches Moonbyul's upper abdomen springing up, but not her heartbeat that remains flat on the monitor, "Again! Turn it to 300 joules. Clear!" Another physical springing response, but not on the monitor.

"No... Ms. Moon, please. Please stay with us, don't you dare!" He yelled, tossing the defibrillator aside switching to CPR.

.

.

.

(End of Chapter 52)

A/N: Don't forget to leave a comment below if you wish to participate in the giveaway event. If you are shy, you're welcome to leave me a DM. <3

=(Sneak Peek of the Giveaway Prizes)=

Giveaway Event 4.11 - 11.11, answer a survey about the story 'Against All Odds' & stand a chance to win Mamamoo Album (incl the latest I Say Mamamoo: The Best) and more.

Next Update: 28th October (Thursday)