16

I had my ear against the door, my breathing was heavy and staggered. I heard Levi unlock the door, then another set of footsteps walked in. "Looks like you haven't grown much kid", I heard an older mans voice say. "What do you want Kenny?", Levi said to him.

I heard one set of footsteps wander the apartment, then stop. "You didn't finish your job today", Kenny's voice said. "That Yeager kid is a lot more eager to work than you are", he continued. Eren? Is Eren working for them again? "Then give him my job... I told you... I want out", Levi said, Kenny laughed manically.

"Oi Levi... that's not how it works brat... you know that... you're an Ackerman...you're a direct blood relative... so one day you'll take my job.. there's no changing or escaping that.. ever", Kenny's voice got quieter as he spoke. I heard a set of footsteps wander, but this time wandering towards my door.

I covered my mouth to silence my breathing, the footsteps stopped just before my door. "Oi oi oi Levi do we have company?", his voice sadistic. My body was trembling, my hand shaking as I silenced my mouth. "Leave it Kenny... it's none of your concern", Levi said, "Well it is my concern if they're a threat", I heard something click on the other side of the door. "Kenny get out of here before I kick your ass", Levi said, his voice filled with rage.

Kenny chuckled and the footsteps faded, "Oi oi oi no need to get all worked up kid... I have work anyways... but", he paused, "You get that job done... or he will", I heard his voice say before a door slammed shut.

Levi rushed to my door, I unlocked it, and I freed my hand from my face, causing me to hyperventilate. "Salem are you okay?", he held my shoulders as I struggled to catch my breath. The anxiety now taking over. He hugged my tightly, his big arms wrapped around me. "It's okay.. you're ok", he whispered.

My breathing started to calm as he held me, his embrace bringing me instant comfort. He pulled away, "I'm sorry about that... I told you he's not a ... very good man", he said, his eyes filled with concern and regret. "It's okay.. I'm sorry I just get really anxious about-", he cut me off, "Don't apologize for something you can't control, ever", his tone genuine, causing me to smile.

"Your hand", I said as I held his hand filled with tiny cuts and blood. "It'll be alright- I'll live", he said as his eyes studied his injured hand. "Let me get that cleaned up for you", I walked to my bathroom and grabbed the first aid kit. Levi was still in the doorway when I set the supplies on my bed, "Come here", I said as I gathered the items I needed. He hesitated for a moment then sat beside me on the bed.

I placed a towel on my lap, "Here", I gently put his hand on the towel over my thigh. His touch made my body heat up instantly. Stop. Focus Salem. "This might sting", I said before I applied the rubbing alcohol on his wounds. He didn't even flinch. "Impressive", I said as his reaction took me by surprise. "I've had a lot worse", his eyes looked sad as they looked to the wall across him.

"Alright tough guy", I joked, a faint smile appeared across his lips. I put some antiseptic cream on his hand then wrapped it with some gauze. His hand in mine felt good, it felt right. "All done", I smiled at him, he viewed his hand, "Not bad.. but I could've done better", he said flatly. I rolled my eyes, "A thank you works too", I shrugged my shoulders, his eyes met mine, "Thank you Salem", a barely noticeable smile across his lips.

"You're uncle seems... nice", my voice high as I finished that sentence, Levi scoffed, "There's a lot of words I'd use to describe him.. nice isn't one of them", he sighed, "But he's family after all", he paused, "Unfortunately", he said under his breath.

"You going to be okay tonight?", Levi asked, "Yeah- I'll be okay", I smiled. He made his way out my room, but just before the door he stopped, "Thank you again", he turned his head, I smiled softly, "Of course".