27

I woke up to my alarm sounding off. I jolted up and rushed to my room. I quickly showered and changed into some clothes.

I decided on some black loosely fit jeans, a black graphic tee and a Levi's leather jacket he had left me, paired with my docs. I let my hair fall naturally.

I called Mikasa as I stood outside the building, please pick up. "Hey Salem, what's up?", she said as she answered the phone, "Hey, can you buzz me into your building, there's something I need to do- I'll explain later", I said through the phone. "Of course", she said, "Thank you", I said before she ended the call. Thank god Mikasa lived in the same building, or I'd be shit out of luck.

I walked to the front desk, "I'm here to see Mikasa Ackerman", I smiled at the older man, he checked something on the desk then handed me a visitors card, "Thank you", I said to him before I rushed to the elevator.

I took a deep breath as the elevator stopped at the top, the doors opened and I made my way to the rooftop. I shut my eyes and sighed heavily before I opened the door to the roof.

I saw him standing in front of the railing, a bottle of what looked like bourbon in his hand. I started to approach him slowly. "What are you doing here Salem?", he asked, his eyes still on the city.

I stood beside him, "You know, this was my spot before it was ours", I said, he sighed, "Salem- I told you I-", I cut him off, "Stop, stop pushing me away, it won't work", his cold blue eyes finally met mine. "Salem- bad things happen to the people I care about- I don't want to get you hurt", he said quietly, his eyes sad as they stared into mine. "I don't want to be selfish with you".

"I'm not a good man- I've done a lot of things I'm not proud of- you don't want to know me", he said as his eyes fell back on the city. "Stop", I said, causing him to look back to me. "Stop saying you're this awful person when I know you're not", "You don't know me", he said quietly.

His eyes cold as he stared down at me. "Bullshit", I started, "I know you like the rain, you like to read sad romance novels, you hate it when people interrupt you", I paused, "You drive like an absolute maniac, I know that you don't know how to take the subway, I know you drink bourbon- that you rarely ever smile but when you do it's genuine", I inched closer to him as I spoke.

"I know you hate being dirty- that you take your coffee black just like me, I know that you hate not having a plan- that you need to know everything about everything- that you hate it when things don't go your way", my body stilled inches from his, his eyes softened as I spoke.

"And most importantly I know that you, Levi Ackerman, are scared to lose anyone you start to care about- so you... push them away in hopes that they'll hate you- so it'll be easier", I looked up into his cold deep blue eyes.

"So, stop saying I don't know you", I started to smile, "I know you better than yourself", my hand held his face. "I like you Levi Ackerman, I like you a lot", tears welled in my eyes as I grinned widely. "And I won't let you push me away, because I'm not going anywhere", I said.

His hand held mine on his face, he shut his eyes softly. I rested my forehead on his as we stood there in silence. "Salem, we can't", he said quietly. I pulled away and looked at him, "Why?", I asked. "I can't drag you into my messed-up life", he said. I sighed and looked down, "So that's how it is", I looked at him for a moment before I started to walk away.

Just as I was halfway to the door, "I don't know much about relationships", his words caused me to stop. "I definitely don't know anything about love", he paused, my back was still to him. "All I want- in the world... is to just keep talking to you", he said, I slowly turned to face him.

"I want to know how your day was, I want to argue with you, I want to hear all your theories even the ones that are just completely, you know, wrong", his words caused a smile to grow on my face. He slowly walked to me, "And I know it's not that simple- none of it", his body stilled inches from mine, his eyes staring down into mine. "All I know is that if... you're just willing to continue having this conversation with me... we can figure the rest out".