28

About a 2 weeks have passed since Levi and I kissed. And god I still had butterflies just thinking about it. I had only seen him a few times, he had stopped by after work to read with me, talk, just be around. It wasn't for that long, but it was more than enough to just see him.

Today was the grand reopening of the book shop. I had kept the same name, Hans' Books, in order to keep his legacy alive. I dressed in a white turtleneck and some baggy black jeans with a oversized brown coat. I fixed my hair into a low bun, a few strands loose to frame my face.
"Ready?", Jean asked as I walked out my room, "I think so", I said, he extended his arm out and I hooked mine in it. "Let's do this", he said as we exited our apartment building.

I stood outside the front of the store, they had just finished hanging up the 'grand reopening', sign. "Thank you", I smiled at the workers as they finished. "Shall we?", Jean looked to me, "Fuck yeah", I smiled and unlocked the doors.

Jean and I had been working on the shop these past 2 weeks, Levi stopping by to help when he had time, he was slowly warming up to Jean. It made me happy that he was making an effort to be friends with my best friend.

We had repainted all the shelves and counters, hiding the chipped wood. We put some white Christmas lights around the walls, and a few candles at the front desk to spruce it up. And it looked brand new. We did one hell of a job.

We had set up cookies and cupcakes in celebration at the front desk. Jean stood behind the counter with me. "This place looks amazing- we killed it", he said, "Yeah we did, no we wait for the people to come rolling in", I said in a hopeful tone.

-hours later-

Jean and I were sitting on the counter playing rock paper scissors as we killed time, no one had shown up. We were about to die of boredom.

"Dammit!", I said as Jean won the last round, "Ha! Dinners on you tonight sucker!", he cheered. I rolled my eyes and sighed dramatically.

"Where are all the people!", I groaned, "They'll come- people are at work right now- right?", Jean tried to reassure me. "Right", I said quietly as I focused on the ground, my voice tinted with disappointment.

"Hey", he held my shoulder, causing me to look at him. "They'll come, okay", he smiled genuinely, "Yeah", I smiled. We sat there together, every minute passing by killing my hope slowly.

"I think we should call it a day", I said, my eyes low. Then all of a sudden, Armin, Annie, Mikasa, Sasha, and Connie came rushing through the door. Sasha and Connie were cheering as they entered, "Books!!", they shouted together. A wide smile grew on my face as I watched them all walk in.

"What are you guys doing here?", I said as I walked towards them. "It's your big day!", Armin cheered, "We had to come support you", Mikasa smiled warmly at me. "You didn't think we'd miss it? Did you?", Sasha said as she munched down on a cupcake. "Yeah all this free food come on", Connie said as he joined her, inhaling the cookies.

I looked back to Jean, and he smiled and shrugged his shoulders. My face almost saying 'thank you' to him.

We all caught up, laughing, sharing stories. It felt good to have friends, friends that showed up, friends that cared. I finally started to feel apart of the group, and it was awesome.

I stopped mid sentence when I heard the door open, Levi walked inside, a bouquet of blue roses in his hand. A grin grew on my face as his eyes met mine. I walked to him, "Congratulations on reopening the store, I'm proud of you Salem", he said as he handed me the roses. "Thank you Levi", my faced burned a bright red.

"Well, are you going to introduce us or we all just gonna stare to you two?", Connie shouted from across the way. His words causing me to laugh, "Sorry", I said as Levi and I approached the group.