26

I woke up, my eyelashes fluttering open, last night's makeup still on my face. I noticed Jean asleep beside me. I sat up from the bed and stared out the window. "You feeling a little better today?", Jean asked, his morning voice raspy.

"I don't know", I said flatly. I heard Jean leave the bed, his footsteps coming close to me. "Get cleaned up, I'm taking you to breakfast", he said as he patted my back then left my room.

I showered off last nights events. I threw my hair into a messy bun. I changed into some baggy jeans and a hoodie. I walked outside my room and waited for Jean. He left his room and smiled widely at me. "Come on sad girl", he threw his arm around me, and we made our way out the building.

We walked inside the old breakfast diner, the scent of pancakes and coffee filling the air. We sat at a booth in the back. I stared out the window and watched the city, my eyes low.

"So you just going to give up?", he asked me as he sipped his coffee. I looked at him fatly, "There's nothing I can do, he doesn't want me in his life, that's it plain and simple", I said plainly. Jean rolled his eyes, "Enough depression session", his words caused my brows to furrow.

"I let you cry it out last night but today's a new day", he said, "Jean- it's over he told me how he really felt last night", Jean sighed dramatically at my words. "What now?", I asked in an annoyed tone. The waitress interrupted us, and we ordered our food.

"You really think all that bullshit he said is true?", Jean asked, "Well he said it-so-", he cut me off, "Seriously Salem, out of all people you should know, people don't always say what they really feel, you read books for fucks sake", Jean said as he threw his hands up. I looked at him with narrowed eyes, "What would I even do huh? He doesn't want to see me Jean!", I said, my voice raising slightly.

"You know that isn't true!", he yelled back, causing me to lean back in my seat. "You really believe he doesn't care about you? I mean even I see it and I barely know the dude! Have you seen the way that guy looks at you?", he said. My eyes avoided Jean's as he spoke. I threw my hood over my head and crossed my arms.

The waitress set our food down in front of us, "Salem, do you want to be with him?", he asked, I waited before I responded. "Well I- he said he-", he stopped me, "No, answer my question", Jean said sternly. "Yes", I said flatly. "Then don't let him get away", Jean said, his tone genuine.

I finally looked to him, realization all over my face. I stared at him, my lips parted as he scarfed down his food. "If you really like him- dare I say the other L word- then... fight for him... don't lose him", Jean said, his eyes soft and kind.

"Oh my god", I said under my breath. "What?", Jean asked, "I know what I need to do", a smile grew on my face. "There she is!", Jean cheered, his mouth full of pancakes.

We finished our meals and decided to go for a walk.

Jean walked beside me as we pushed through crows of people. I noticed the book shop in the distance. Not just any book shop, Hans' book shop. I stopped in front of the shop, my eyes starting at it. "Oh shit, Salem I'm sorry I didn't"-, I stopped him, "It's okay", I said quietly, my eyes glued to the store.

I flipped through my keys, till I found the one to the store. I started to approach the door. I took a deep breath, then inserted the key. I opened the door, Hans' scent filling my airways instantly. I shut my eyes and paused before I entered.

I slowly walked inside the old dusty book store. My eyes fell on the chair behind the desk where I found his dead body. All the blood had been cleaned up, almost as if it didn't happen. My hand glided along the wood of the counter. My hand stopped at a book on the counter, the title read, This Side of Paradise, by F. Scott Fitzgerald.