Promise

Set after the Death Cure au
———
"So can you help me?" Brenda asked, firmly as she grabbed the dark haired girl's hands for moral support. This was her chance to change her relationship with a certain runner, all she needed now was her friend's help in doing so.

It has been a month since they arrived at the safe haven and there was no progress in getting closer to Thomas than just friendship. It was a dead end. Teresa stared at her, not knowing how they ended up like this as unknown emotions swirled in her blue eyes. Brenda was her friend and was asking for her help to ask out her best friend.

"Ok." She answered, quietly as she swallowed the lump of emotion in her throat. Her feelings for Thomas didn't matter, they were just best friends and nothing more because the safe haven was their new start. She quickly ignored her inner confusion, watching Brenda gratefully smile at her response.

"I want you to ask him out for me." Brenda spoke, determinedly as she stared at her. This was the perfect way to surprise him, when Thomas would think he was going out for a evening with Teresa, but only to see his true date, Brenda at the picnic. She knew the two were only friends, it was a solid plan.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Teresa responded, hesitantly as she slowly processed her words and realised Brenda was trying to surprise Thomas. She didn't know if she could do that.

"Yeah, I got it covered. The picnic will be arranged with food underneath a romantic sunset." Brenda answered, calmly as she inwardly smiled at her date idea. She was so focused on her planning that she didn't notice Teresa frown at her words for a second before it disappeared.

"He'll love it." Teresa spoke, shakily as she desperately buried her feelings and managed to smile at her friend. It was better this way as Brenda hugged her in gratitude, knowing Thomas didn't like her that way. She would always be a good friend to both of them.

It was night, the sun already gone as she waved her friend goodbye and saw other citizens getting ready for slumber in their huts. Time to begin Brenda's plan as she climbed into her bed and laid on her back, silently staring up at the ceiling.

"Tom, are you still awake?" She spoke, curiously as she knew he was busy with Minho and Newt lately with mapping the island. Figuring out the huge forest took a lot of his time, making her sometimes miss him when he was away.

"Yeah, I can't sleep." He responded, quietly as his words echoed into her head. She instantly smiled at the sound of his soothing voice, knowing their huts were farther away from each other and wondered what kind of expression he had on his face.

"Did you miss me?" She giggled, playfully as she pulled the blanket over her shoulders for warmth. Happiness spread through her chest as she felt him smile at her words in her head, forgetting about what she was meant to do for a moment.

"I did. I hardly saw you all day, Teresa." Thomas answered, a smirk grew on his face as her words echoed into his head. The thought of the blue eyed beauty always lingered in the back of his mind, wondering what she was doing when he took a break from the meeting.

Teresa suddenly frowned, remembering Brenda's plan and her promise to help her friend. She let out a shaky breath, knowing she couldn't let Brenda down as she slowly found the courage to say her next words.

"Um....Can I ask you something, Tom?" She spoke, quietly as her fingers nervously fiddled with the ends of the blanket.
"What is it?" He responded, curiously as he stretched his legs on his bed.
"Are you free tomorrow evening for a date?" She asked, meekly as she remembered what day Brenda wanted the picnic to be held.

It was silent for a while, the only sound of crickets could be heard as she waited for him to speak. There was a long pause until his voice echoed into her head again.
"What kind of date?"

"A picnic with tasty food and a pretty sunset." Teresa responded, innocently as she remembered that Brenda also wanted a sunset for the date. She paused to think some more, trying to remember if Brenda wanted anything else during their girl talk and didn't notice the breathless tone in his voice.

"Ok." Thomas muttered in a barely audible voice as heat rose onto his cheeks at her words. He couldn't wait till their date tomorrow, a soft glimmer in his brown eyes. He was looking forward to it already.

"Great! I'm glad." She spoke, innocently as the weight of her promise lifted off her shoulders. It was done, she managed to carry out the plan and maybe Thomas could be happy with Brenda. Her chest instantly ached at the thought but as long as he was happy then so was she.

With that thought stubbornly stuck in her mind, she rolled to the left and bid Thomas goodnight which he softly returned. She only hoped that Thomas would get the happiness he deserved tomorrow, even if it wasn't with her.

Author's Note: Please do comment what you think so far of the story. It really helps motivate me by hearing your thoughts. I'm hoping to update soon :)