Close II

Set during the Maze Runner au
———
It wasn't his. It was her emotions that had slammed into him as his jaw clenched from the overwhelming feelings in his head. Then her terrifying scream echoed throughout the glade as all heads snapped towards the noise, followed by a loud cry of his name.

Thomas was already sprinting in her direction, not caring about anything else as he briefly heard the other gladers following behind him. He wasn't going to let anything stop him from getting to her.

His brown eyes darkened in anger as he saw Ben trying to climb on top of a frightened Teresa from afar, the woods surrounding them. They were alone. Teresa suddenly lifted her knee and hit him in the nuts, causing Ben to groan painfully and collapse onto the ground.

Her beautiful blue eyes were filled with flowing tears as adrenaline rushed through her veins, still in self defence mode. Her hands frantically grabbed a large tree branch and started hitting Ben who was trying to get up again.

She was so focused on Ben that she didn't notice the boy had been knocked out by her strong hits and the other gladers staring at her in astonishment whilst some ran to get Alby for guidance. They had no idea what had happened.

Her chest pounded hard as she gasped for the breath that she couldn't seem to acquire, terrified by the crazed look on Ben's face. Tears blurred her vision that she didn't feel herself being pulled into strong muscular arms.

"Let go! Let go!" Teresa shouted with a small whimper as she tried to resist against the familiar warmth. She tilted her head down, not wanting the others to see the leaked tears streaming down her face.

"It's ok. It's me, Teresa. It's ok, your safe...." Thomas muttered, softly as he buried her close to his chest and hid her wet face from the gladers. His arms wrapped around her small waist, trying to sooth her as he gently ran his fingers through her soft raven hair.

She desperately clung to his chest, clutching his shirt as the feeling of safety washed over her. It was true that she only ever felt comfortable crying in front of Thomas and only him.

Thomas looked down at the trembling girl in his arms, noticing her tears soaking into his shirt before he angrily looked up at Ben who was getting dragged away by Minho and Alby. He wanted to kill the boy for what he did to Teresa.

Newt silently stared at the sight in front of him, watching Ben struggle against Minho and Alby. Something must have happened to Ben if he tried to harm the only girl in the glade.

He saw the look in Thomas's darkened brown eyes, slightly fearful of the anger burning within and knew his protective nature towards the girl glader. He hoped she was alright, only noticing minor bruises and cuts on her arms.

His pale hand gently patted Teresa's head like a brother would show affection to his sister as he tried to calm her down along with Thomas.

Now they had to discuss about Ben for breaking one of the glade's rules, never hurt another glader and the girl was still one of them. He definitely knew that Thomas wouldn't take it lightly if Ben wasn't punished.

Author's Note: Please do comment what you think so far of the story. It really helps motivate me by hearing your thoughts. I'm hoping to update soon :)