22

Amira

The girls had all left, so I was all alone again, and I couldn't get Fatima's situation out of my head. It could happen to any one of us, and that scared me. I was also distraught that Ibrahim was willing to throw away their love just because of a mistake.

I sat on the bed with my arms folded, glaring at the wall.

"What did that wall ever do to you?" Akram asks, closing the door behind him. I turn my head and glare at him instead. He raises his hands in surrender.

"Okay, but seriously why do you look so angry?" he asks, climbing into the bed next to me. I ignore his question and focus on what's happening right now.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I'm going to sleep", he replies in a duh tone.

"But this is my bed," I say.

"Oh, this is your bed, well the floor your bed is on is mine. I used my money to build it. I used my money to build the entire house, so if you want me to leave your bed, you can take it out onto the streets. That way, it's not in my house, and you can be possessive about it," he spits.

I turned away because if I looked at him for one more second, my hormones would get the best of me. Damn you, pregnancy hormones. I need to stop thinking about it before- "Oh no, " I say, wiping the traitor tear off my cheek, but another one falls in replacement of the last. The more I wipe them away, the more come gushing down, and before I know it, I'm full-on crying.

I sense Akram getting up from the bed. He rushes over and crouches down in front of me.

"Please stop crying," he says, trying to peer my hands away from my face.

"Why are you being so mean to me?" I ask, crying harder.

"You're the one who was mean to me first because of someone else's marriage problems", he replies.

"Not just someone. That's my friend," I yell, getting angry again.

" I understand she's your friend, baby, but it has nothing to do with us," Akram says, stroking my head.

"It's unfair", I respond, looking at him.

"It's not unfair, Amira. He's allowed to", he replies.

"Just because you're allowed to do something doesn't mean you should do it", I state.

"It's his choice what he wants to do, and Fatima has no choice other than to accept her fate," he says.

"So I'm supposed to live knowing this could be my fate too, and I'm just supposed to accept, " I ask.

"Is that what's making you so angry?" Akram asks, laughing a bit.

"Only part of it," I say with my head down.

"Well, I'm assuring you that you're the only one for me now and always. I won't even look at another girl ever again. If I see them, I'll run away shouting I have the most beautiful wife at home," Akram says, tickling me.

I laughed so hard I felt tears running down my cheeks again, but the difference is that these were tears of joy.

"Do you hear that, baby? Your daddy only has eyes for your mommy", he whispers, kissing my bump, I smile down at him, and I wonder how I got so lucky.

I place my hands on his cheeks and kiss his forehead. He flashes me that heart-melting smile, and I smile back.

"I love you, AK", I say.

"I love you more, Amira", he says.

He gets back onto the bed, and I cuddle into him.

"Promise we'll never let anything come between us, no matter how bad. Promise me we'll work through it and get over it because if I lose you, I don't think I'll be able to go on," Akram says into my ear.

"I promise," I reply.

"We should take a picture to remember this day," I say and grab my phone.

We take a picture, and I write the date and time and "don't break your promise" before saving it.

"I still feel awful for Fatima," I say, drawing circles on his bare chest.

"He's not getting married, just letting her think that because she eavesdropped on him," Akram says.

"Kinda like what I did to you," I giggled.

"Let's forget that ever happened," Akram says, and I laugh harder.

"How about the Vatican" I joke.

"We can be neighbours with the pope," Akram says, and we laugh.

"We thought for some time before we both blurted out ", GREECE".

"I knew we were soulmates, but that was scary," I say, and Akram nods in agreement.

"Greece It is then," I say, and he smiles at me.

"The security guy you consulted said it's safer just to disappear, but I've seen so many movies where if they had just told their family the situation, it would have worked out better," I said.

"I was thinking the same thing," Akram says.

"Our twin telepathy is on point," I say.

"Don't say twin because it makes it seem like we're siblings, and that's disgusting," he says.

"Oh yeah, sorry", I respond.

"Our telepathy is on point", I rephrase, and he nods in agreement.

"We should host a barbecue In the backyard, and we'll only invite family. We should tell them what's happening for their safety and ours," he says.

"I like that idea, I say, and I get to plan a party", I beam happily.

Akram smiles and I grab my phone to start writing down a list of vendors and activities.

"How big are we thinking?" I ask.

"Go as big as you want. You won't put even a dent in my bank account," he says, typing away on his laptop.

"I love that you're rich," I say, placing multiple kisses on his face.

"A kiss for every 100 thousand you spend," he says, bringing his hand forward for me to shake. I grab it.

"Deal," I say, smiling.

The rest of the night, I scrolled through Instagram, checking who would be most appropriate to decorate the backyard and which caterer would be best. I also wrote down the invite messages to the elders before sending a message to our group chat with the boys. I was excited about having everyone around but also sad about leaving home.

I'm going to miss my crazy girls and even the guys. I would miss our game nights, going to Ammi's house for dinner once a month, family gatherings, and being surrounded by the people who love me.

But this is for the better until we make sure Salim isn't a threat. I'll have Akram and the baby with me, and we'll have our own little family. I won't be big and boisterous, but every bit as remarkable, making me smile.

~