Bonus Chapter 5: Part 2 (END)

AMIRA

Aalam and I watched with amusement as Akram chased Aadil around the living room. He had spooked us, but once we discovered he was close by, we relaxed a bit more.

"Mama, tell him to stop!" Aadil yells, jumping over the centre table. "How do you even have this much stamina, old man?"

"Old?! Who are you calling old?" Akram retorts, cornering him.

Aadil laughs in his face and then tries to escape through the side. Akram grabs onto him and begins tickling him mercilessly. "Old ko? "

"No, that's not what I said. You misheard!" Aadil replies through fits of laughter.

Aalam turns to me and grins widely, clearly enjoying the show. "Only pick up your brother's good habits, okay? No sneaking out for you," I say to him, pinching his cheek.

"We'll see," he responds sheepishly, causing Akram to release Aadil and turn to him.

Akram approaches and cups his chubby face. "It's not happening. I'm going to watch you like a hawk. My little boy is not going anywhere."

"I'm not little," Aalam replies, frowning and shaking off Akram's hands.

"You'll forever be little to us," I say, kissing his cheek.

He screeches and runs over to the other sofa. "I'm eight! I'm a big boy now."

Aadil scoffs. "Big boy? Mama and Dad still give you baths."

"That's because he can't reach his back yet," Akram defends. "Now, sit down so we can have a serious conversation. Playtime is over."

Aadil groans and rubs his eyes. "Is that necessary? No more sneaking out. I've got it already," he says, trying to leave the room.

"Sit down," Akram and I say simultaneously, and he begrudgingly obeys.

We both stepped before him, and I put on a serious face. "We understand that you're a curious teenager, Aadil, and you want to experience different things, but you can't do dangerous things like this. Something could have gone wrong, and you or your siblings could have gotten hurt," I say sternly.

"But nothing did," he replies dismissively.

"But something could have. Sneaking out into the backyard is passable, but outside the compound is inexcusable," Akram replies.

"Got it. Can I go now?" Aadil asks.

Akram shakes his head. "It seems we've been too lenient with you. You're not getting off easy anymore," he says, then sticks out his hand.

Aadil looks at the hand, then at me, and I nod. He sighs, pulls out his phone from his pocket, and places it in Akram's hand. "How do you expect me to socialise now? Not having my phone is social suicide. Do you guys hate me?" he asks dramatically.

"We don't hate you, my love. You and your brother are the most precious people to us. We love you more than anything. That is why we're doing this," I explain.

"If you love me, you'll give me back my phone," he tries to coax with a smile.

"Not happening. You're not planning any more nighttime outings," Akram says.

"Fine. You can keep the phone. But I'll remind you that I have grandparents who call me daily," he says, crossing his arms.

I laugh at his attempt to scare us into giving him the phone. "Look, Aadil, we know you understand why this is happening. Let's not stretch it further."

"Okay, okay. I made you worry, and I'm sorry. It won't happen again," he says, then tugs on Akram's pyjama pants. "Dad, can I please have my phone back?"

Akram smiles and then shakes his head. "No. Now off to bed with the both of you," he says.

"My life is so unfair," Aadil whines, getting up. I grab Aalam's hand, and we all head for the stairs. "Do you want Mommy to tuck you in?" I ask, looking down at him.

"No!" He yells, letting go of my hand and running ahead.

Akram and I watch them head to their rooms before heading into ours. "Our baby is starting to pull away," I say sadly.

Akram pulls me into his arms and pats my back gently. "We've been through it with Aadil. We'll get through it."

Aadil has always been quite independent but still loved being around Akram and me. However, once he turned ten, he preferred being with the other kids and stayed in his room more often. We struggled to understand and accept it, but with the help of Ammi, we were able to come to terms with the fact that he was growing up and he wouldn't remain a kid forever.

The weight of my worry seemed to double as I noticed that Aalam had also begun to exhibit the same behaviour. Although they were gradually growing up before our eyes, I couldn't help but envision them as fragile infants snugly swaddled in blankets. The memories of the days my children were born are etched in my mind with vivid clarity. The thought of them growing up fills me with a sense of melancholy. However, I know this is a natural part of life's journey. Despite the sadness, I am also overwhelmed with happiness as I watch my children grow up to be healthy and happy individuals.

"We will. I'm excited to see them grow and mature," I say, trying to be positive.

"I am, too. They're good kids, and they have the best mother. I'm sure they'll turn out well," Akram replies.

"They've got an equally splendid father," I reply.

"We did well," he says, leaning down to kiss me.

I smile up at him, and he pulls me towards the bed. We get in, and I snuggle up against him. "Goodnight, baby," he says and kisses my cheek.

"Goodnight, AK," I reply, closing my eyes.

I relaxed into Akram and let his soft breathing lull me. As sleep began to seep in, I heard soft shuffling sounds. Akram and I looked up to find Aadil and Aalam walking over to the bed. "What are you guys doing?" Akram asks.

"Aalam and I thought you guys would want some cuddles," Aadil replies, and I smile.

"Come on," I say, making space on the bed for them.

They hop on and lay between us. "Can we sleep here tonight?" Aalam asks.

"Of course," Akram responds, hugging him tightly.

Aadil relaxes his head on my shoulder, and I smile. A warm tear trickled down my face, and I held him tightly. "I love you three."

"We love you more," Aadil replies.

"I love her the most," Akram says, and I giggle.

"I love Mama the mostest," Aalam says.

"You can't compete with me," Akram replies.

"Stop fighting with your children and sleep," I scold, causing the kids to laugh.

The room falls silent as my family quiets down, and I sink into a comfortable stillness. A surge of joy fills my heart as I lift my head to take in the sight of my beloved family. The memories and gifts that Akram has given me are some of the most precious treasures in my life. I am filled with gratitude at the thought of marrying him, and I know without a doubt that it was the best decision I've ever made.

THE END END

______

This is it. 

It's done for good. 

I'm sad now. 

Thank you all for reading. Despite being a mess, this book means a lot to me, and I appreciate the support it has received. Have an amazing Ramadan if you participate. 

Bye!