10

Amira

I've been calling Adama for the past 20 minutes. She will be late, so I'll have to spend more time here, increasing the chances that someone might see me.

"Fafi, I'm so sorry", she yells, dashing down the hall to meet me. I glare at her before sitting on one of the steel waiting cheers.

"I'll be quick to fill up the form, "she says and runs to the receptionist.

Two hours later, it was finally over. With the help of the nurses, Adama was gently placed into the backseat of my car, and I drove her back to her apartment. I made sure she was settled in and well-fed before leaving. I also arranged a snack bar and her meds at her bedside.

By the time I got home, it was getting to six, Akram would be back any minute from now, and I hadn't cooked. "It would be best if you winged it", my subconscious advised. I quickly phoned Amina for some ideas.

"Okay, how about you pretend an old friend fell off the stairs, and you were in shock throughout today."

"I don't think it's gonna work, and I don't want to lie," I say, giggling at the silly idea.

"Shit," I said as I heard Akram's voice from afar.

"I have to go now. Love you," I rushed out.

"Love you too," Amina replied and ended the call.

"I was looking for you," he said, eyeing me suspiciously. I physically tensed.

"Why?" I asked, trying to play cool.

"Well, you've never really been in this parlour", he replies.

"Exactly why I wanted to check it out," I said.

"Oh", was his only reply. "And I noticed you didn't cook today", he added, plopping beside me.

He placed my feet on his lap and began to press them gently. I only stared at him, "I'm assuming you had a rough day at work", he said, and I nodded almost too suspiciously.

"So, how about we go for dinner?" he suggests.

"That would be great", I replied, smiling.  What the hell did I do to deserve someone as great as this? I thought, "Alhamdullilah", I muttered under my breath.

We both took showers and dressed up for our night out. We had dinner and then ice cream before heading home.

Time skip- 2 days later( Saturday morning) 

I hummed Champion by Nav as I organised Akram's closet. He was sprawled across the bed, answering some work emails. It was Saturday, so we were having a lazy day.

"Babe, your phone's ringing", Akram yelled out.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"A random number", he yelled back.

"Just pick up", I ordered, precisely what he did. It was quiet for a few seconds then I heard him ask, "What do you mean?" Then it was quiet again.

I peeked out of the closet to see what was going on. He had dropped the phone.

"Who was it?" I asked, coming back into the room. He shot me a deadly glare and kept mum.

I flinched but continued, "Babe", I started. He jolted up from the bed, and my lips instantly pressed together.

"Explain to me why a nurse from Some hospital is calling to ask how you're feeling after your abortion some days back," he says.

I think my soul just left my body. "That bitch", my subconscious growled.