Bonus Chapter 2

The best love story is when you fall in love with the most unexpected person at the most unexpected time.

Ailah & Jafar's story

-

Ailah

"Thank you," I say to the Uber driver as I leave the vehicle. The driver had taken my car to the auto shop, and I had been craving sticky wings.

I walked up the stairs and into a restaurant. The sweet smell of good food hit me, and I grinned. Hudayya would pay for ditching me to hang out with Hud. I wouldn't share any of my food with her.

As I looked around the dimly lit room to find a seat, I spotted a familiar face sitting by the window. He was slumped into the chair, gazing out the window with a lost look.

I rushed over.

"Hey, loser. You look uglier than ever today," I said, sitting across from him. His expression remained stagnant as he looked at me. For the first time, Jafar wasn't reacting to my jests.

I reached over and poked him in the chest, "What's wrong with you? Are you still angry at me for hiding your phone yesterday?"

He shrugs, eyes still focused on the street.

"Come on. I already apologised. Teasing you is no fun if you aren't going to retaliate," I whine, poking him again. Finally, he grabs my hand and gently pushes it back towards me.

"Not today Ailah. I'm not in the mood."

I retract my hand and stare at him. He seemed upset. I expected pigs to fly before seeing Jafar without that annoying smile on his face.

"Woah. You're actually sulking! What happened? Are you okay? Do I need to beat someone up?" I ask, moving my chair to the other side of the table to be closer to him.

He turns to face me and gives me a sad smile, "I might take you up on that offer."

"Really? Tell me who I need to fight," I insist.

He sighs, "Is it even worth it?"

I smack his arm and glare, "Stop speaking in code and tell me who upset you. I'm the only one allowed to piss you off."

"The girl I brought to game night," he answers, running a hand through his hair.

"What did she do?" I ask.

"We'd been seeing each other for some time now, and I thought it was going very well. I thought I did everything right. I gave her attention. I listened, gave her presents, made time, everything I could. But I found out she's been seeing two other men." He replied, fisting his hair.

I grabbed his hand and pulled it off his hair. I didn't let go to prevent him from doing it again.

"I don't understand. I did everything Ak, Ibrahim and Bukar did for their wives. I've been loyal. Where could I have gone wrong?" He adds.

I shook my head and grabbed his other hand, "You didn't do anything wrong. You did your best. You did more than the bare minimum. I promise you're not the problem."

He gives me a sad smile, "maybe you see it differently because our relationship is different."

"No. I'm saying it as it is. You're a good friend and a great guy. You're witty, fun, thoughtful, and kind. You're so much more than you think. She's the one that's blind for not seeing it."

Something flashed in his eyes briefly before they lit up, and he grinned. " I didn't think you could say nice things about me."

"Don't get used to it," I respond.