xvii. they're tailing us

Rowan's words seemed to follow Aelin around the next day.

She'd laughed initially, once the shock wore down. But when Rowan winced at her reaction, it cemented the truth for her.

Mafia.

Shaking away the memory of last night, she returned to observing the scene around her. She watched Fenrys steal cereal from his twin across the breakfast table. Aedion and Vaughan were arguing about a show they were watching. Lorcan was absent, and Rowan was just...watching her. Veiled concern in his eyes. Though maybe he was scared that she'd blurt out the truth and get him in trouble for telling her.

Aelin wasn't about to out her own secrets, though, so she kept quiet.

"Hey, Ace," Fen said, through a mouthful of cereal.

Aedion frowned. "Don't eat with your mouth full, you heathen." Connal nodded solemnly, as if seconding her brother's remark.

Fenrys spluttered in offense. "Heathen?" he said.

This set off a round of arguments, which luckily seemed to cover the fact that Aelin had yet to say a single word to anyone.

Connal seemed to notice and sent her a questioning glance, which she shook off with a slight smile.

Footsteps sounded, and Rhoe entered the kitchen. "Hey kids," he greeted, getting a myriad of responses in turn.

He walked around the table, stalling near Aelin. "Goodmorning, fireheart," he said, pressing a kiss to her hair.

Despite herself, she smiled, feeling her heart grow warm. Both at the nickname and the simple act of affection. Was this man the same ruthless person Rowan had briefly described?

"Can I talk to you later, Rowan?" Rhoe asked, sending a glance to him. It was the type of glance she had grown accustomed to seeing, loaded with some internal meaning that she wasn't privy to. She wasn't supposed to understand, but her curiosity had finally been answered.

Rowan nodded to Rhoe, before meeting Aelin's eyes. She shook her head subtly, reiterating her plea from last night.

"Rowan? Don't tell Rhoe yet."

"I have to tell him something."

"If you need info, I can help. Just...leave out the part about me."

"He's going to find out eventually, but...I'll think about it."

Rowan turned his gaze to his food, leaving Aelin to do the same. She was quiet for the rest of breakfast, after which she took her plate to the sink in the kitchen.

Upon returning, she found Rhoe and Rowan nowhere to be seen. She inhaled, before setting off towards her room.

She waited in anxious silence. As usual, she eased her nerves by checking the weapons stashed around the room. Then she sat down to flick through a book until a knock interrupted. Rhoe stepped into the empty doorway, meeting her gaze.

There was no trace of suspicion in his eyes as he smiled fondly at his daughter. Rowan hadn't told him, then.

"I was wondering if you were up to go to Emrys' tonight? You, me, and Aedion."

"Sure," she said, already remembering Emrys' warm smile and kind eyes. And the food, of course.

Rhoe grinned wider. "Perfect."

Aelin tugged on a plain sweater with jeans, before making her way downstairs. Aedion and her father were waiting by the door, both dressed rather casually. She was almost more used to using them, especially Rhoe, in their neat suits.