xxviii. if it isn't little lin

Aelin tapped her feet nervously. Rowan sent her concerned glances from the passenger seat, while Lorcan complained from the back.

"You gonna go in while I'm still young, Galathynius?" he mumbled.

Aelin hadn't really taken him seriously when he said he'd help her learn the truth, and she really hadn't expected him to tag along.

The first half of the drive had been Aelin singing along to pop songs on the radio. To her delight, and Rowan's annoyance, Lorcan knew most of the songs. Somewhat. His lyrics were a bit off, but it's the thought that counts.

The closer they got to their destination, however, the more silent and tense Aelin grew.

It was a Saturday. They'd started early in the morning for the nearly 3 hour drive, winding up several towns away near the Terrasen-Adarlan border. It was a grungy town, full of dilapidated buildings and crumbling sidewalks.

And near the town's edge, a hefty distance away from any stores and houses, was the orphanage. It was the most worn down of the lot, and dark mottled gray to boot. No attempt at sprucing it up had been made. No fresh paint, no renovations. Not even a sign.

It was the orphanage, distanced from the town the way the orphans there had been distanced from townsfolk.

Aelin glanced out the car window to the place she'd lived for a couple of years before Arobynn had taken her in. Her memories of the place were vivid, but in a sort of fever dream way. It was the strange jumble of emotions and occasional images that stuck out, not any coherent timeline.

She remembered frayed carpets and broken windows. She remembered shivering in her bed at night. There had been tutors who came in every day to teach, mostly to yell at kids crying over sums or books that were too difficult for them.

The headmistress had been kind, though. She cared for the kids, but was old with little money or family to help her out. Aelin wasn't sure if she was still alive.

Aelin couldn't bring herself to leave the car, though she knew they'd come here for a reason. Inside her, the dread spiraled into a painful jumble in her stomach.

"We can go home," Rowan offered. His voice was gentle and firm, the familiar cadence of his voice grounding her in reality.

Lorcan scoffed. "We drove 3 hours to get here. Either Miss Sunshine gets her ass out of the car, or I go in-"

"-I'm going in," she interrupted. She didn't bother snapping back at Lorcan, her whirlwind of thoughts too inescapable.

Silence. She threw the car door open and stepped out, then hurried up the narrow driveway before her mind could change.

Rowan and Lorcan stepped out as well, rushing after her.

Aelin reached the door and took a steadying breath. She knocked. The door opened, and a face peered out. It was a woman with a thin face, eyes sharp and keen, lashes long, lips pressed into a line.

Her mouth softened into a smile, however, upon spotting Aelin. She looked kinder this way, subtle wrinkles along her mouth and temple.

"I'm Aelin," she said, politely. "We spoke on the phone, I believe?"

"Yes, dear," the woman said. "Come in." She opened the door wider to allow them access. "I'm Madame Florine," she explained, as everyone filed in. "You were here when my aunt ran the place, I believe."

"Um, yeah," Aelin said. She glanced around, finding new wallpaper to have replaced the chipping paint. It was a pale yellow, but pleasant and cheery.

Madame Florine gestured for them to follow. She led them down a long hall.