Rescue

I was walking. The streets and sidewalks were crowded. People talking on their phones or to each other. Well dressed men and women. Teenagers going in and out of shops with tons of bags. Its honestly a typical day here in NYC. I moved here for college and have been here since. I love it. The people, my job, the views of the city at night. Its amazing. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Suddenly I was pulled out of my thoughts by seeing a large crowd of people gathered to cross the street. I smiled. As I was about to look away, something caught my eye. I looked back at the crowd and saw they were almost fully across. But then a mother at the last minute with her child who looked roughly around the age of 4-5, was running across the street. The child slipped out of her grip and she must've not noticed cause she made it to the other side. As for the child he was still in the road. And the light turned green. I saw a car's head lights from the corner of my eye. My eyes widen and before I could think anything through I dropped all my belongings and ran. I ran as fast as I could to that child. I won't let a child die on my watch! I tell myself as I get closer. But a human can only go so fast. And it doesn't help that I have an ankle injury. But at this point in time nothing else matters but getting to that boy. I get to the cross walk in the street without taking another second I run and grab the child that's sitting in the middle of the road sobbing. I hold him close to my chest and continue running just as the car reaches us I jump to the rest of the way. Luckily the car never hit anyone but they did keep on driving.

The crowd of people surrounded us as I only have the boy in mind right now. I look at him. "Hey kiddo are you okay? You had quite the scare there." I said to the boy who is shaking I'm fear. "Hey it's alright your alright. I got you." I said and hugged the boy. The frantic mother came up to me and took her son and started hugging him. "Oh my baby! My baby! I'm so sorry I'm such a bad mother!" She sobs as she hugs her now crying boy. "Thank you! Thank you! How ever could I repay you!" She says tears still running down her face. "Don't worry about it. Just next time I don't care how much of a rush your in don't rush across the street especially with a child. You put yourself and your son at risk." I say to the panicky mother in a calm manner. "I promise I will!" She says. I smile and start to get up from kneeling on the ground. The people who have now formed a crowed were clapping and video recording. WAIT VIDEO RECORDING!!! I quickly cover my face and pat the boy and his mother. "I would take him to get checked out by a doctor just to make sure I have to go now bye!" I shout as I head to my stuff. But as I was about to leave an excruciating pain flared up my right leg. I clenched my teeth and continued to walk. The people who were in the crowd are now parting ways and.going back to what they were doing. And I do the same. As I get to where I left my stuff I notice a man standing there holding them. A tall man in light pink scrubs with a  lab coat. In one hand and my stuff in the other. "Yah know Ms.y/l/n I saw what just happened. And I'm sure your ankle is killing you right now." The man who I soon recognized as my friend since med school Ian. "I'm fine Ian. It was just a little scare." I say trying to hide the fact that my ankle is in grade 8 pain. "Y/n please. Don't lie to me. You know the drill I won't hurt you and I never will. Come lets get you home." He says. Did I mention Ian was also my roommate. He gets anoyying most times but he is caring and cute and adorable and eww why am I thinking like this 🤮. I shake my head to get out of my thoughts and I look back at Ian who is looking at me worriedly. "You just got off your shift you should go get rest." I say back. "You nurses always looking out for us doctors. Not today come we're going home." He says. I roll my eyes. There is no getting out of this. "Your right there." My eyes widen. Did he just read my thoughts?! "How did you know what I was thinking?" I say. "Well you said it out loud dur." He says and grabs my right arm and places it around his neck as he helps me the rest of the way to our apartment.

"Alright y/n go sit on the couch while I go get ice packs and your ankle brace which is what you supposed to be wearing." He says and wonders off into the distance. I do my eyes and li.p towards the couch. As soon as I sit down a flash of today's events hits me all at once. Flash backs of my life flashing before my eyes. And the look on the little boys face. How close I was to the car. I felt something hit my hand and when I looked I noticed it was tears. I was crying. I started feeling a slight pain in my chest. I know all too well that I'm about to have an anxiety attack. The thoughts a d memories of today start flashing in and out of my head and then that's when the trouble starts. My airways feel like they are closing and everything seems like its getting smaller. I see a figure rushing towards me. "H......hey .......... Y/n........ Hear ...... Me......" It sounds like Ian's voice. But I can't stop this I'm trying so hard but I can't. I feel a pair of strong comforting arms be wrapped around me as my head is placed on his chest. I close my eyes listening to his heart. Its smooth. Its on a constant beat. Its quiet soothing.

After what felt like forever I was able to calm down enough to be more aware of the situation. "Hey you good now. Here drink some water." Ian says handing me a cup of cold water. "Th..thank you." I say sniffling into the cup before taking a sip. "While I look at your ankle would you mind telling me about the attack? Was it about the incident today?" He asks as he gingerly takes my ankle into his warm hand. I his slightly at the pain but nod. "I see. The adrenaline must have worn off then. Talk to me. What was running through your mind just now?" He asks comparing both ankles to each other. "I...I was th... thinking what would h...happen if I w...wasn't there." I said taking another sip of water as he presses lightly on my ankle causing me to flinch. "Sorry sorry. It looks like your tendons in your ankle stretched more. Just take some ibuprofen, wear your brace and ice it and the pain should subside. If not then I'll take you to the doctors. And as of what you just said. Look I know what you did was reckless and stupid. But you saved that boys life. Don't think about what would happen if you didn't.  Cause you already did. He is probably right now happily going home to the rest of his family. Smiling and hugging his mom cause you were there and you saved him. You should be proud of yourself." Ian says as he places the brace on my ankle. "I guess your right." I say finishing the last bit of water. "Good now I was thinking instead of going out and having a celebration dinner how about we just order in yah?" He asks. I smile and nod.

That night we ordered some really good Japanese food and watched Naruto. Looking back on today I wouldn't have changed anything. And I'm glad I could help out in anyway I can. I smile and lean onto Ian's shoulder. "Hey y/n. Ya know... I kinda had this thing for you since med school." He says. I smile and look at him. "And I was wondering would you want to be my girlfriend?" He asks. I smile brightly and nod. "Yes!" We hug. Today was one of the best days and scariest days of my life.

Would you go out your way to help someone in need? Let me know in the comments! And i hope this story makes up for not posting in a while. Hehe stay happy and healthy!