PROLOGUE

***

MANY, MANY, YEARS AGO.

Melanie walked through the precinct with a small smile on her face. She looked around-seeing all of the faces of the cops walking around and a voice called out to her.

"Melanie Rayner- you better get your ass to Hobb's office." Trudy Platt said to her close friend.

Melanie rolled her eyes playfully and looked at Trudy, "Hobbs is the sweetest guy ever." She said and Trudy rolled her eyes and scoffed.

"Sweetest guy my ass. He's a prick!" She exclaimed and Melanie laughed and Trudy and her began walking to Hobb's unit.

"How's Evelyn?" Trudy asked, wondering how her daughter was. Melanie nodded and spoke.

"She's good. She was sick yesterday but my mother came over." She said and Trudy nodded. They both walked into Hobb's office- seeing the Sergeant standing in front of everyone and he turned and spoke.

"Nice of you both to join us. We're going over new partners since Mary had to leave." He said and Trudy rolled her eyes and looked at Melanie- hoping they were going to stay together.

"Platt and Marks. Williamson and Curtin. Clere and Ray. Voight and Rayner." He said using Melanie's married last name. She turned and saw Hank Voight- and she blushed to herself. Hank looked at her with a smirk- knowing the affect he had on the woman and she cleared her throat and walked over to him- not knowing that her Sergeant was going to play a big part in her life.